Hi my name is mary and i am 21 years old i am dating this guy that i have been with for going on 6 years we have two kids together and one on the way, my boyfriend i addicted to drugs and i really am tired of this i go thru this on and off all the time we currently moved from houston to austin to live with his famliy cause we lost 3 aparments cause of his habit! my famliy stays in houston and i have nobody in austin i really dont want to leave this man cause my son is hooked on him but i dont know what else to do any help are advice will be appreciated Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Hi Mary. Nice to meet you. IT sounds like you're in a difficult position. Have you ever been to an Al-Anon meeting? These meetings are 12 step groups for people who love or care about an addict, but need to learn loving detachment. It might actually be best for your son to be away from an addict father. Have you consulted anyone in social services about the situation? There are many resources. IT will depend upon how far you are willing to go for yourself and your children. You will need to be strong.
|

Supporter
Hello
Nice to meet you.

I agree with the above posted.

Have you tried going to a rehab with your partner at all. Is he willing to actually come of the drugs. You have to be prepared for all the mood swings and anger as they come of them. Having a child around drugs can be dangerous can you keep him away

Hope this is some help for you.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
Welcome to eHealth. My heart goes out to you and your children. Does your boyfriend acknowledge he has this problem and is he up for getting help? If not, I'd say take your children and do what you have to do to keep them from ever knowing their Dad is on drugs. I totally agree with the above posts, there are resources that will help you and the kids. If you do nothing, you are going to wind up loosing everything (and the thought of loosing custody of your children) scares me. When certain agencies find out that there is a parent who is abusing drugs, the will and can legally intervene. This being said, I do hope you will seek help and that your boyfriend will take necessary measures to get off drugs in order to keep his family together. Will your family in Houston not help you? God bless you and your family!
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear of your story. Can I ask what sort of drugs your bf is addicted to. I'm guessing they're heavy drugs right? Is it heroin by chance.
See the thing is that all this stuff you are going through is very unfair to you and you're kids. If your bf can't even manage to pay the rent then it is likely to be a very serious adiction. Unfortunatelty it's not you that can make him change his ways. It's only up to him. He has to make the decision and stick to it for himself and for you and for his chn. If you're in a really bad situation you should leave for the sake of your chn. This may make him realise what he's lost and make him want to quit but it could go either way.

I wish you all the best & wish you strength and courage.

Harmony xo
|
Users who thank harmony1 for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You should go for rehabilitation.
Determination and will is the key in quitting drugs.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.