User Profile
as long as i can remember i have only had bowel movements every 5-9 days i drink alot of water and pee all the time sometimes i go every 15 minutes when i am at home. i have always put this down to not going when people are around so if my boyfriend was in my home and i needed to have a bowl movement i would have a pain but i would not be able to go. and i can only go in my home. for the last 6 months i have been on a low carb diet and i have had no pains since but still only go to the loo every 5-9 days and thats with laxatives that are in the foods i eat for my diet.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2011
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A19013
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the history provided here, it seems that you are constipated. Also some inadvertent childhood experience (stressful toilet training) might have lead to a psychological negative thoughts about bowel movements, and this has lead you to the symptoms mentioned above. People who ignore the urge to have a bowel movement may eventually stop feeling the need to have one, which can lead to constipation.

Normal stool elimination may be three times a day or three times a week, depending on the person.

Constipation is defined as having a bowel movement fewer than three times per week. With constipation stools are usually hard, dry, small in size, and difficult to eliminate.

There are many things you can do to prevent constipation. They include

1. Eating more fruits, vegetables and grains, which are high in fiber
2. Drinking plenty of water and other liquids
3. Getting enough exercise
4. Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to
5. Using laxatives only if your doctor says you should.

You might consider getting yourself examined by your physician, for adequate counselling and proper evaluation of your condition. Counselling by a dietitian will also benefit you.

I hope you find my suggestion helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.