I realise that most people who are ill jump to crazy conclusions, and google will always tell you that you have cancer. But I'm actually looking for some advice from people who may have some information on Bowel Cancer, or who may have been affected by it directly, or indirectly.

I have been ill for about 5 years now, intermittently. When I go to the toilet, it is sometimes fine. Other times I have very dark red blood with clots when passing stools. There is a lot of blood, enough that when i go to the toilet it is a steady stream that makes it sound like I am urinating and I get very dizzy, hot and faint. Afterwards I become lethargic, and feel very tired and normally end up going to bed soon after. The blood is the colour of dark red wine, and the clots can be up to the size of a £1 piece. I lose my appetite sometimes for days on end, and I get lower abdominal cramping.

I have seen a doctor, when I lived down South as I was admitted to the hospital with low blood pressure and signs of anaemia related to the amount of blood loss. There was never any signs of hernias, fissures or hemorrhoids and I had a sigmoidoscopy which came back clear. Due to swelling and acute pain in my abdomen, my appendix was also removed as a precautionary measure but was seen to be normal.

Since then I moved, and my new GP has brushed off my issue as hemorrhoids without any investigation. My previous doctor's next step was a full colonoscopy and barium enema.

I have bowel cancer in my family (two uncles have died from to it, Grandfather has it currently) and cancer is very prevalent in my family.

Now I am only 26 years old, and I feel this has bearing on why my current GP is not interested in my symptoms. They are getting worse, and I will say that Bowel Cancer is at the front of my mind.

Can anyone please discuss with me what their opinions are before I go into my GPs surgery and start kicking up a fuss? If anyone has had any kind of bowel disease, could you explain what your symptoms were like?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2010
Based upon the symptoms that you describe, and your age, hemorrhoids would be more likely, statistically, than colon or rectal cancer as the source of your rectal bleeding. However, you will indeed require a full colonoscopy in order to completely rule out colorectal cancer. (Other possibilities include abnormal blood vessels within your colon, diverticulosis, or inflammatory bowel disorders like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.)

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied November 12th, 2010
Intestinal cancer? Or something else?
I have concerns of cancer as well but maybe its just a possiblity of my J-pouch failing? I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis at 16 and had severe UC by 18 it had taken up my entire colon. By 20 I had precancer cells growing at a rapid rate. I then had a colectomy before my 21st birthday as I was so ill and in and out of the hospital.
Followng this I had an ileostomy which was later revered and the j-pouch has been fine other than multiple bowel obstructions and hospitalizations. Follwing again multiple surgeries for partial small owel removal and scare tissue.
I have just spent so many months in the hospital that I do not want to go back.
Its now 15 years later since the initil surgery and I cannot make it to the bathroom and now need depends at night. Yet not something you share with people. I even do not tell my husband.
More and more frequently I cannot make it to the bathroom during the day and its no warning just bam I go.
My stools are liquid,green,seedy and mucusy to like water rust brown.
I feel my pouch fill up sometimes inside and its hard like a rock then if I touch my belly it hurts. I hoped it was pouchitis and begged my doctor to just prescribe me Flagyl. Lets just say it did not help this time.
Any thoughts on what it can be? Do I have to have surgery again???? Is it maybe cancer?

Thanks
|
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.