Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Bowel and bladder problems (23 year old male)

Hi, I'm only 23 years old but I have plenty of bowel and bladder problems. My bladder is the worst, if I'm out I seem to at least need to go every 2 - 3 hours and it's worst in the morning.

More annoying is my bowel. In the morning I need to "release" bare minimum at least twice. Sometimes three times. I went to go see a doctor about this three years ago and got a blood test. They said everything seemed normal and nothing came up in the results, but they assume I've got irritable bowel syndrome(which doesn't come up in blood tests apparently). They just told me I need to learn how to manage it and consume more fiber and gave me some fibogel powder to drink which is kind of like a laxative and helps constipation so I can manage my time better.

It's probably also worth nothing I believe I'm lactose intolerant(never been diagnosed) so I avoid all dairy products as much as I can.

I've learnt how to manage my time better and understand my bowel movements more but but my situation hasn't really improved at all.

Can anyone advice me or have similar experiences??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2014
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

The symptoms can be due to irritable bowel syndrome or due to stress or due to conditions like diabetes and thyroid problems (which probably you do not have as your blood tests were normal).

So, you need to watch what you eat. Maintain a diary where you log in what you eat daily and mention the symptoms—timing etc for both food and symptoms. Make an effort to eat more roughage and probiotics and drink plenty of water.

There are blood tests for celiac disease, lactose and other intolerances which you can ask your doctor whether it is required in your case or not. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.