Hello. I've been suffering from stiff neck caused by social anxiety, not a neurological disorder, for years. After I exhausted psychological and psychiatric treatment options, I decided to try a BOTOX injection on my neck. Yes, I was that desperate because stiff neck ruined my life completely. As for how I managed to get the injection, please don't ask. I'm not here for a medical practice debate.

I believe the doc gave me two injections on the muscles right above the trapezius. He then showed me an empty 50 unit vial as proof. My question is, do you think I'll experience any change in stiffness sometime after? I know 50 units don't do anything for dystonia patients, but I have no idea about people with stiff neck caused by anxiety.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
styler1,

The muscles injected were probably the sternocleidomastoid muscles. These are a pair of strap muscles on the front/side of the neck, and are responsible for cocking the head down, in a "red robin" movement (a twist and tilt maneuver).

The dosage of Botox can vary greatly, depending upon a number of factors. But, for adults 50 units is about the lowest used. 200 units should be the max.

Botox works by paralyzing the neuromotor units in the muscle. But, since it is only effective where it is injected, the whole muscle is not paralyzed, since there are hundreds of neuromotor units in each muscle belly. The idea is to make the muscle weak, not flaccid.

For dystonia, such as seen in CP kids, the effects of Botox are usually pretty quick. But, when used for cosmetic purposes, it may take up to 2 or 3 days or more for full effect.

With a total of 50 units for both muscles (25 each), you may not see a lot of difference, unless you where having significant spasms. But, since this is for anxiety, it may be more noticeable when you are under stress, rather than in a relaxed mood. Again, this is really untested territory.

Good luck. Hope it works for you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: styler1 
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....