Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

both of my ovaries are enlarged?

User Profile
For about 3 years I have experienced pain in my left ovary every time I ovulate. I gave birth 9 months ago to twin boys and just before my pregnancy I was told my left ovary was enlaged and that it had a volume of 14cc and the right ovary 7cc. Three months ago I started having lower back pain in my left side that I attributed to lifting my boys. I am accostumed to back pain but this new pain never goes away, it also extended to my leg and have had trouble walking sometimes, with pain in my abdomen. Also last week I had a blood clog and spotting. I went to my Dr and she told me that I may also have a urine infection, she ordered some test and a pelvic sonogram. The results of the sonogram came back normal exept that both of my ovaries were enlarged, left 24.9 cc and right 16.4cc, there were no cysts seen an normal lining. The urine test shows that I have elevated white cells, bacteria is present and many squamous cells.What is cousing the enlargement? Why does it hurt so much?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2011
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A28253
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the cause for the ovarian enlargement and your symptoms without examining you and going through your investigation results carefully. You should consider visiting your gynecologist for further evaluation at the earliest. The pain radiating down the legs could be due to the nerve compression resulting from the enlarging ovaries. A laparoscopic examination done would be helpful in visualizing the texture and nature of enlargement (along with taking biopsy if needed for further confirmation). Treatment as appropriate (based on the examination findings and investigation results) would be started to help you to control the symptoms. Consider being in regular follow-up and monitoring of your treating gynecologist and report any unusual/abnormal/new symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.