Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

both hands do the same movement since childhood.

User Profile
Since I was a child, both of my hands do the same movement. It is very noticeable. I have seen on here where other people have the same problem. It has been something I have tried to hide my entire life because it can be embarrassing. I am 32 years old and would love to finally have an answer to what this is!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2013
Neurological Disorders Answer A45147
Thank you for the question.
You have a so called "Mirror movement disorder". It might be familial or caused by some brain development abnormality. I see no point to be ashamed of it but it might be truly disturbing for some activities when both hands are needed. Basically what happens in this condition the activity from one side of the brain crosses mid line to the other side. Little kids often have it but it subsides by age 10. Truly straineous activity can have similar symptoms in otherwise normal people. There are special exercises that might be helpful. Since you now know the name of the disorder you can search it online. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.