User Profile
I am a 45 year old female. I was born with two rectums. I have what I consider a normal rectum and then above it a thin layer of skin that separates one rectum from the other and then on top of that is the second rectum. My mother was told by the doctor when I was a baby it was a common disformaty and that it is non-functional and would cause no discomfort. The truth is it causes pain, such as electrical shock feelings, the skin separating the two sometimes rips and bleeds, as far as I know only the normal one is functional. Has anyone heard of something like this before, are there health concerns I should be aware of, and is there a medical term for my condition? I have a lot of stomach problems but I'm not sure how to ask my current doctor this information because of fear of her having to look at them.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2018
Womens Conditions Answer A63286
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Thanks also for the details. You could be suffering from what is collectively known as ano-rectal malformations. Since you can see or feel two parts, in all probability there is a membrane in between your anus (end of rectum).

Since there is pain and bleeding, it can be a rare condition called transverse vaginal septum. In this there is pelvic and lower abdominal pain with bleeding. However, it is first detected in young females as the pain starts with onset of menarche. In your case, it you have conceived and given birth, it is unlikely to be the cause. However, if you have not, then you could have a very monior form of it. However, since the doctor told your mother that your anomaly is common, this is most probably unlikely.

It can also be two rectum or bifurcation of rectum into two or it can be a malformed rectum with two anal openings. These anomalies or a septum at anal opening are most likely ano-rectal anomalies possible.

It is very difficult to exactly diagnose the condition on net. This would need a local examination and some dye may be injected X-rays taken or the defect visualized through a scope to understand the nature of defect.

The good news is that most of these defects can be easily corrected through laparoscopic surgery.
Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. You may need to see an ano-rectal surgeon for this.

This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.