Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

born with only one kidney. Sometimes I still get pains...

Hi everyone.
I am 21 years old. I was born with only one kidney. Sometimes I still get pains in my back that I know are kidney pains because I remember when I used to get them as a child and my mum would have to take me to the hospital if it got really bad. It feels like if I sit up to high it hurts and if I huntch my back to much it hurts aswell so I have to sit in a certain position to make sure there is no pain. If i go into one of the positions it instantly gives me a sharp pain where my kidneys are and I have to adjust to a position so it won't hurt anymore. It usually happens maybe 2 times a year. But it has already happened 4 times this year. The pain can be so bad that it puts me in tears sometimes. I am wondering does anyone know if I should be worried about my other kidney because I only have one kidney?
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile bastionv

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
Its possible that you may have a kidney stone. I would try going to a Urologist and have them do an Abdominal x-ray on you as well as check you for a kidney infection...If you have a kidney stone. Ask a doctor for some Toradol for the pain. Its a strong anti-inflammatory med that I have prescribed to me for when I pass kidney stones. They give me the same think if I pass one and go to the ER so its cheaper to do that at home unless it becomes obstructed. I would definately see a Urologist though..
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...