Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

born with a blue spot/patch on the bridge of his nose?

User Profile
My son is 4 months old. He was born with a blue spot/patch on the bridge of his nose and is still there. It looks like a bruise. I am just wondering if I should be concerned. My ped hasn't mentioned it at any of his appointments. It's very visible. It's not a straight line, but looks like a patch or bruise. It's not raised and appears to be just under the skin. If I move the skin from his forehead onto it, it disappears. If I press to the left of it (near the corner of his eye), it also disappears.

He is fair-skinned (two Irish parents). Is this some sort of vein (or cluster of veins) or cluster of blood vessels? Is it because his skin is still thin at this age?

And more importantly, will this fade away or disappear when he gains weight/gets fatter/skin gets thicker?

Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2014
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A47658
Welcome to e health forum.

From the description, it seems that the lesion could be a capillary vascular malformation, commonly called flat hemangiomas. These are a group of malformed / dilated blood vessels within the skin.

They are benign lesions, always present at birth. Some of them do sponteneously disappear on their own with age, while some may persist lifelong.

You may consult with a dermatologist who can examine the lesions and provide proper medical advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.