On Dec 8 2015 i was involed in a bad car wreak. Though i was not unconscience i do not remember many deatails of anything untill Dec, 25. Right femur was broken in two spots towards the hogh end and left femur was poking out of the skin and 4 inches of it by knee was compressed and replaced with cement. Right leg had a rod inserted into the middle of femur to hold bone for healing and left leg had a metal plate nailed to the outside. Also pettalla tendon repair on left knee. Due too other onjuries to my stomach causing liver and kidney issues and blood clots going to my lungs from my calves, I did not start PT untill Jan. Jan 22ed I went in for some Xrays hoping to obtain a higher weight bearing status for mt left leg as it was only touch down at the time. The Xrays, unfortunatly, showed the rod in the right leg had shifted down and the bolts were in my knee joint limiting my range of motion. The doc set up surgery for the next morning and removed the rod replacing it with a plate nailed to the side. Big set back. I did 1 more werk at the rehab hostpital focusing on transfers and went home Feb 6th 2016 for the first time. I did not do home health but went straight to out patient and after 3 weeks they had me walking on a zero G treadmill at 20% body weight. The weight could not be increased due to the left leg not being repaired yet. By March I was doing short distances with a walker but still only had 90 to 95 in both knees. On March 21st 2016 I had a vascular bone graft preformed on left leg. They removed part of the smaller bone in lower leg and hooked it up to the femurs with blood vessels and all. April 6th 2016, I am making long distances with my walker but still feel too unbalanced for crutches. And I am still only getting 95 out of right knee. Slightly less on left knee due to swelling still from surgery.

All this to ask, shouldn't I have more range of motion by now? Especially in the right. Doc keeps saying not to worry and PT says 100 to 110 is considered good for life style! I need more. At least 120. I am 40 and have 3 kids under 10 years old. And 14 acres to maintain. Can someone please give me some more insight as to why my range of motion is being given so hard to regain.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2016
Experienced User
I was involved in a very bad ATV accident May 25, 2013 - breaking my leg badly in 3 places. I however was beyond lucky not have a compound fracture. My riding boots kept my leg in-tact, so I’m very thankful for it.

You have sustained extremely severe injuries. It will take quite a bit of time. In-fact, you’re kinda early in your healing process; regardless if you’re in your early 20’s or 40’s. I’m almost 3 years out, and I’m still dealing with stiffness, and pain. My bones healed up great, but I have a lot of nerve problems; which I’m still dealing with.

What you are experiencing sounds very typical. This takes a long time, a very long time. I was told with my injuries - and mine weren’t as severe as yours, that I would be dealing with things for around 18-24 months give-or-take. It’s hard going through one broken leg, but two - has got to be awful - and all the other injuries you are dealing with! I have been keeping a personal story of my journey, if interested, let me know, and I can get you the info (can’t post it on these forums.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply