Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Borderling Personality and Narcisstic Personality disorder

User Profile
Brief background for those who have not read my other posts.

October last year I was admitted to the phych unit of the hospital twice for being suicidal and cutting.

Since then I have been seeing a psychologist who has told me that I have prominant symptoms of both Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcisstic Personality Disorder.

A couple weeks ago my Psychologist called me in to say that her mentor believes I may bipolar and they have referred me to a psychiatrist for further evaluation.

I just dont see it as possible.

I have never in my life had a manic or hyper-manic episode. I have spoken with my wife who also says she does not believe I have.

How can it be bipolar??

My pychologist believes that the Narcisstic traits may be consistant with the manic phase and the bordeline traits may be consistant with the depressive phase.

Has anyone ever heard of this??

I run down about how I feel may help.

I hate myself!!!!

Simple as that really. I have done nothing good with my life. I have made no success of anything. I constantly make mistakes and constantly hurt people. I day dream to escape myself. The problem is that I am daydreaming all the time....hours and hours a day. I dream of success and wealth and happiness....all the things I can not acheive in my own life.....simply because I am not good enough in real life.

I feel like a loser and a failure because I AM a loser and a failure.

How do you cure that????????? There is no cure for failure?????????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I need to know what is wrong with me!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank Phocks for this post: bluebell1133 

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Hey Phocks,

It is not unusal for it to take years for someone to be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.

Both those disorders you mention (I can't spell then and doing a copy and paste here is impossible.

It is quite usual for a person to be diagnosed Boarderline etc. While that second disorder is not usually mis diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.

Only a suggestion you may have Bipolar Mixed States.

It had me beaten before I was told I had Bipolar Disorder I thought I can't have as I did not go from a major manic stage over to the depression.

I guess you are able to do your own reserch. If I were you I would do a search for the DSM criteria for those two disorders you were first diagnosed with and see if you think that you met the criteria for both disorders.

I would be happy if I were you to have a therapist who is willing to revisit their first diagnosis.

All the best,

JennyRobin
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Hey Jenny,

I should put you on the payroll. I think you have answered every post I have written.

I have checked with the DSM many times and I meet the criteria to be diagnosed with both.

I think the issue my Psychologist had was that she believes the two disorders to be very contraditory. Which is why she is looking at the highs or Narcisstic and the lows of Borderline in line with BIPOLAR.

I have just had a look at 'mixed state bipolar'. It does seem to fit.

I dont know...I am so damn confused....all of this is really doing my head in.

I spend all day trying to sort out what is wrong with me. I am driving myself eveb crazier then I already am.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
DSM
Hi again Phocks,

Was just thinking as have nothing much better to do at this time. ie too down to go out to-day.

But using the DSM criteria to decide that you meet the criteria is througth with danger.

The following is not a personal dig at you at all. But I thought I would put it in in case you are not as familiar with diagnosing Bipolar as I like to think I am.

While a person may think they meet the criteria is all very well, but the big thing is does the person have the symptoms, which are relevant to the DSM criteria? And are these symptoms of such a nature that they met the DSM criteria?

Take for example a relative of mine (who by the way I regard as a bit of an idiot) thought that he had Bipolar Disorder due to his grandiosty. What were his grandiose thoughts?

Well he had one and that was he was going to be a painter like Grandmother Moses. Nope one incidence does not met the criteria of grandiousity, nor is the example a gradious thought. After all it is not an impossible goal to me. Difficult of course but withing posibilities for that relation.

Regards,

JennyRobin
P.S. Hey try and stop thinking. Were you able to get an earlier appointment with the psy?
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2009
Experienced User
I don't have any advice to give like the other people. My life is constant crisis. I balance my time. My head throbs all the time. Faith is the vehicle I ride.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Hey Phocks, what you described in your posts really hit home with me. in fact, its the first time i dont feel like the only one that feels like you described.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Alot of times people give me the response to LOVE MYSELF. But how can you simply just begin to Love yourself??? its alot harder than that.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...