Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Bony lump at back of leg

I'm a 28 year old male who had became worried about a bony lump behind my knee on my left leg. The lump seems solid and attached to a leg bone. It isn't painful to touch, but is quite deep in the muscle/fat around my calf.

I had noticed this lump a while ago, but thought nothing of it until the weekend. I had been suffering from stiffness of my left knee when I woke up in the mornings for a couple of weeks, I then played a game of ice hockey on Friday evening where my hamstring became quite tight also.

On Friday night/early Saturday morning I began googling my sptoms and began to worry myself so much that I ended up urge hospital. There I was told by the doctor that he suspected a Baker's cyst. I felt like he wasn't in the right part of my leg so this morning I had an appointment with my own GP where she fel the bony lump and referred me for an x-ray. She told me that she has no reason the believe there was something serious wrong but wanted to get it checked. She also said if the radiologist suspected anything serious I would have been sent direct to an orthapedic. When I asked the radiologist about this she told me that regardless of what they found they would just refer back to my GP. This has just made me worse as I have no answer to put myind at rest and fully expect the next 48 hours (at least) to be sleepless with worry.

Going from my symptoms, does anyone have anything they can add/suggest?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2010
Unfortunately, it is not possible to offer patietns a specific diagnosis over the internet.

In most cases, a Baker's cyst will feel like a soft mass behind the knee (and not like a hard, bony mass). Both benign and malignant bone tumors can also occur in this area as well, however, you will have to wait for your x-ray results before your doctors can provide you with a reasonable list of possibilities for this mass.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
Andy,
My son has the same thing. What was your diagnosis? I made him a doctors appt, but of course I am worried sick about it in the meantime.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
I was diagnosed with a bony "exostosis" which is basically an extra peice of bone that appears during growth spurts. It might also have been linked to be breaking that ankle around the age of 13.

It should be nothing to worry about, especially if it's smooth and not causing any discomfort.

I worried myself almost to the point of no return with it - I know it's not easy, but try not to do the same.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
Thanks so much!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.