Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

bony hard rounded knot on my coastal cartilage.

User Profile
Hello, im a 25 year old female. I have a bony hard rounded knot on my coastal cartilage I think at my 3 left rib. It's right next to my sternum and it's extending from my rib and continues on to my sternum a little bit. Its Linda like in the shape like the ribs themself. I have never noticed it before and recently became aware of it because I occasionally feel some stabbing sensation in the area. You can't see it but definitely feel it it's kinda the same shape like the rib itself it's just sticking out a lot more than the other site. There have been done some xrays but nothing showed up. I'm really worried about it might be some kind of bone cancer (chondrosarcoma) I don't know if it has grown in the 3 months that I have known about it it's hard to tell when I feel on it every day. What to do now? Should I just forget about it? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2016
Orthopedics Answer A56914

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the bony hard lump on the chest region.

Sometimes there may be inflammation of the costal cartilage like in costochondritis which may cause a painful visible lump on the chest. It is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding other causes.

It is also important to rule out any chest bony malignancies or tumors which are often missed by x-rays. It can be visible in CT scan and MRI. These tests will mark the area of lesion, size and other information. If it is a non bony tumor then biopsy of the lesion can confirm the diagnosis.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from an orthopedician and get these tests done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Cancer
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.