Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Boney mass seems to be growing

User Profile
Last december I noticed a hard, fixed mass in the left side of my neck. After a few visits to my PCM and ENT they attempted to do an ultrasound guided biopsy. The doctor doing it said that he hit what appeared to be a 'bony mass', and could not get sufficient tissue for a biopsy. I was then sent for a CT scan as it appeared that is was slowly growing in size. It appeared to be Exostosis from the proximal end of the left first rib that projects superiorly and slightly anteriorly. I was told that it shouldn't be anything of concern, and I was sent away. Recently I have had issues with pain the the left side of my neck, and I wake at night with numbness in my left arm and hand. It feels as if it has continued to grow in size, and I'm wondering if this is a common issue with Exostosis, or could this in fact be (unlikely I'm sure) a case of Osteosarcoma?

Thank you for your time,
-Skyler

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2014
Bone Cancer Answer A46787
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

An exostosis is the formation of new bone on the surface of a bone. Given the symptoms that you are having it needs evaluation as it is compressing the underlying nerves causing numbness and pain. There are reported cases of osteosarcoma arising from exostosis. Hence it is important to rule out any osteosarcoma. You need a combination of scans (CT scan, PET scan, bone scan, MRI) and a repeat surgical biopsy as well.

I must admit it is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.