I am a 19 year old male and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

From the standing position, when I squat down all the way and my knees bend til the resting point, they crack a little (I can feel it and it's audible). When I begin to stand up and pressure is put on my knees to stand, they make a crackling sound, almost like the noise made by crumpling up a piece of paper. Something similar happens when I slowly bring my arm forward and up and back (almost in a circular motion).

It sounds as if my bones are very brittle or my joints aren't lubricated enough or something, though I'm pretty sure I get a healthy amount of fat a day. At the top of my head, I can only think of two possible reasons that may have been the gradual cause of this, assuming this isn't normal:

1) When I was around 11-12 years old, I took these "milk" pills that were chewable that were supposedly help me to grow taller. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of the brand here.

2) I've been doing intense plyometrics for the past 5 years, training to increase my strength by doing rapid movement exercises. Most of the work I do doesn't involve weight, but primarily bodyweight exercises so I don't really use heavy stuff. But the thing is, I haven't done much stretching before/after my workouts at all.

So this is a concern for me, because I don't want to have early arthritis or something because the bones at my joints are weak or something. Will fish oil or glutamine help my condition or is it not normal at all for my bones/joints to make such sounds?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2008
same problem...
I have no idea what the answers to your questions are, but I can tell you that I have the same experience. My knees crackle when I go up stairs or come up from a squat, and my shoulders crackle too. I've always had this (I'm 24 now). I think it might just be a random genetic thing, because I haven't taken "milk pills" or done lots of repetitive rapid movements like you.

If you're really concerned, or if it starts to be painful in any way, definitely ask a doctor. So far, I haven't had any trouble besides the annoying sound and feeling.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
I have the same crackling in my knees when i come up from a squat. my elbow also makes the same crunch crackling noise. I lifted weights when i was a teen and just started up again for about 8 weeks now am taking a week off to recover. I just bought glucosomine and chondroitin pills which are suppose to help the joints. I have been reading up on weight lifting forums and a product called; Animal Flex by Universal Nutrition has the best reviews and have solved these noises and pain in our joints. I am ordering it on amazon its $22.00. I have used the Animal line in the past and its awesome stuff. So i expect this to be the solution. Well i hope so anyway. Good luck. If you find something that works let me know.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....