Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Bone Island in the spine

My gastroenterologist just found a possible bone island when I had a CT on my abdomen. I've been having abdominal and back pain bad for about a month or two but thought it was referred from my belly area. I'm scared. I'm 48 and have two young children. Praying its benign. They are scheduling me for a bone density scan next week. I read that these things aren't supposed to cause pain but I can barely stand and sitting for long periods hurts too. Has anyone else had one in their spine? I've read these are fairly common but until today I'd never heard of them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Bone islands are compact bones inside cancellous bones and painful some times but purely benign almost always so no worries. Let your doctor help you in this regard.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

replied June 8th, 2017
Thank you for responding. I'd forgotten I had posted this. My bone scan turned out completely normal and confirmed this was simply a benign bone island. The pain I was experiencing was related to my gastrointestinal problems at that time. It is scary anytime one hears the word tumor. The woman doing the scan was also quite reassuring saying they get a lot of these and nearly always they find it to be completely benign.
|
Tags: Cancer
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.