Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Body vibrates when sleeping

Hello to all,

As this is my first time posting on this site I would like to begin my topic with saying hello to all!
Long story short my wife and I moved from Europe back to the United States a few months ago due to myself having a job transfer. We just had our first child on the 14th of December as well.
To begin, for the past few weeks I have been getting this unusual sensation when i wake up i feel as the bed is vibrating, not shaking or moving but vibrating. I feel this sometimes when I wake up. It lasts for a few seconds and then it foes away but as it is happening I am checking the objects around me if they have any evidence to show that there may have been an earthquake or if they in fact were shaking too but they do not. I have never felt it at any other time other than when I first wake up. I have thrown all explanations such as living next to a highway, a washing machine or a neighbor out the window as only the bed is shaking.
So, last night, which turned out to be one of the most unusual nights of my life has left me with more questions than answers. Last night I fell asleep on the couch in front of the television. As i am usually reading as well, I have the tenancy to fall asleep with my glasses which leads us to this unusual scenario i left myself and my wife in.
My wife, who came in to the kitchen saw that i fell asleep with my glasses on and as she put in, reached down to take them off and as she did I woke up screaming. I don't remember screaming but i remember waking up beyond any form of fright. I have felt so terrified in my life. It took me around a minute to actually say something. My wife also said she has never seen me so panic stricken ever. The unusual thing is that after that minute of confusion that i went through, i realized that the couch is shaking. When I told my wife, she said she felt it as well.
On top of all that, since we moved back to the States, I have experienced two forms of sleep paralysis. Now I am a reasonable person, as when i looked up on Google sleep paralysis and vibrating beds at night, the first thing I saw as answers was demons and or ghosts. That explanation i disregarded immediately. There needs to be a reasonable explanation for these unusual sensations such as waking up to a vibrating bed, screaming myself to sleep for the first time in my life and experiencing sleep paralysis. I am assuming it may be due to stress as I have been experiencing high levels of it due to my new job. Please if anyone may be able to explain this or give a rational answer? Thank you to all!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2013
First of all There's no need to fear nighttime demons or alien abductors.

Sleep paralysis usually occurs at one of 2 Times. If it happens while you are sleeping, it's known as hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. If it occurs as you are getting out of bed, it's known as hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis.
As you get to sleep, your human body gradually calms. Usually you become less conscious, so you do not find the modify. However, if you stay or become conscious while sleeping, you may observe that you cannot shift or talk.
Sleep Paralysis Diagnosed ?
If you end up incapable to shift or talk for a short time or moments when sleeping or getting out of bed, then it is likely you have separated repeated rest paralysis. Often there is no need to cure this situation. However, examine with your physician if you have any of these concerns:

You experience nervous about your symptoms.
Your signs keep you very exhausted during the day.
Your signs keep you up during the night.
|
Did you find this post helpful?