Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi I'm Feeling Hot on the inside and cold on the outside my skin is cold like really cold most of the heat is my Head arms hands feet my lets arent really hot more cold there what wrong with me

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2010
General Q and A Answer A11432
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what could be the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

The human body has a unique way of preventing temperature loss. In order to keep the body temperature in normal ranges and all the organs functioning properly, in conditions when the difference between the outer weather temperature and the body temperature is greater, the human body performs vasoconstriction (constriction of the arteries) in the peripheral circulatory system (which means that the blood supply in the peripheral parts of the body such as arms and legs, would be lowered and the skin on these parts will become colder). In conditions when the difference between the weather temperature is smaller, such as in summer, the human body prevents overheating by vasodilatation(dilatation of the arteries) in order to favor perspiration.

According to the data that you described, it is not likely that you experience any medical condition. You may consider seeing a hematologist in case of experiencing additional symptoms such as pain, lividity of the skin, pallor and cold skin.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a hematologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.