Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

body ache, joint pain severe, exhausted, winded, 103 fever

User Profile
38yo female. My symptoms started little over two weeks ago.
Began with atypical migraine (pain in deep center of brain not usual one sided), sore neck and shoulders, but no stiffness.
That went on for a few days, just took ibuprofen, reglan, tylenol. It got worse and I started to spike a fever (101 - 101.6).
Went to ER 2x. First time gave me narcotic. Headache improved 4 hours, came back worse. second time, usual non-narcotic migraine treatment (toroidal, reglan.... ) Not much improvement.
Fevers would come suddenly and break within a few hours.
Went to GP who ran CBC and prescribed percocet and more reglan. Took maybe two doses of percocet, no improvement. Reglan helped with nausea.
Bloodwork that was out of range:
TSH 4.29
MPV 6.8
Absolute Eosinophils 570
everything else came back either normal or DNR.

Headache eventually eased to dull ache but fevers, body aches, joint pain are more severe (at least 1 1/2 weeks). Also feel like I have trouble breathing, am exhausted, get winded walking across a room and difficulty climbing a flight of stairs. Dr. in ER and GP listened and said lungs are clear. I am sleeping 1/2 -3/4 of day and barely moving off my couch. Fevers today spike at 103.4 and still 101.3 after 1500 mg tylenol and 600mg ibuprophen.

Suggestions? should I go to ER?
What tests should I have done?
WBC, RBC etc are all in normal range.

I have had a moderate heart murmur since birth.

History of pre-diabetes, controlled/ eliminated with diet.
Low blood pressure
Pulse 98 at total rest

Long history in our family of:
Hypothyroidism
Diabetes
Rheumatoid Arthritis

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Answer A37501
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. In view of the symptoms which you have described, it makes sense to consult a physician and look for a cause of the fever. As you mentioned that you have got a heart murmur since birth, an echocardiography is a must to rule out the possibility of infective endocarditis. In this, vegetations of infected material develop over the diseased valves and this can cause persistent high grade fevers. It also makes sense to do blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis like RA factor, anti-CCP antibodies and ANA levels. Blood culture and urine culture also need to be done. Urinary tract infection is an important cause of fever with chills, especially amongst females. Please don’t ignore the fever and should consult a physician at the earliest. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.