Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

Blurred Vision , Headaches , CT scan normal

hi. I am a 27 year old male and several weeks ago my vision started blurring, especially looking far distances. At first it was mostly my right eye, but now it seems to be affecting both, usually one more than the other. I've always had perfect vision, so I went to emergency and the doctor tested the hardness of my eyes for glaucoma, and shined a light in my eyes to check for cataracts (i think?), but those tests seemed fine. I pushed for him to do a CT scan (i had to practically beg) and he did, but the results were unremarkable.

How likely is it that the CT scan missed a brain tumor?/tumors? i know ive read that an mri is a much better test.

my other symptoms include :
-mild to moderate headaches that seem to fixate in one location and move to another. sometimes on the left, sometimes in my sinus area (middle) and also on the back/right/left..everywhere really.
-several months ago my wrists began to ache, and still do with use, easily. (i thought it was just carpal tunnel, and excessive computer use but now i dont know).
-i have bad short term memory
-my joints feel really sore, especially after going out for a night
-for the past few years ive noticed i occasionally get tingling in my fingers, arms or legs.
-my digestive system is messed up, and ive had constipation for days sometimes.
-my sleep cycle seems erratic. and sometimes i cannot rest. i rarely ever manage to get 6 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Does this sound like brain cancer/tumor? Or something else? I realize there is little conventional medicine can do for a brain tumor and have started on a strict cancer-diet regiment of only veggies and simple raw foods with vitamin supplements. I guess i realize there are too many variables to diagnose me - but what would you suggest i do? what would you do if you were me with these symptoms? im really scared. any help is appreciated. thanks

-jeff
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Jeff...I also have all the same symtems...have you found out anything yet? please respond as im worried also...im booked for a ct scan...
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Have you had a blood test to check for Celiac disease ?

I been having Headaces and Blurred vision for the past month.
I had a CT scan yesterday and it did come back abnormal and they are sending me to a Neuro Surgeon to got over the scan.

But i've been reading on this Celiac disease and I have requested a Blood test for it to see it its the cause of my joint pain,stomach pain and sleeping problem.

An Overview
Celiac disease is an inherited, autoimmune disease in which the lining of the small intestine is damaged from eating gluten and other proteins found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats.

Symptoms
The symptoms of celiac disease can vary significantly from person to person. This is part of the reason the diagnosis is frequently delayed. For example, one person may have constipation, a second may have diarrhea, and a third may have no irregularity in stools.

A partial listing of gastrointestinal symptoms:

Abdominal pain
Abdominal distention, bloating, gas, indigestion
Constipation
Decreased appetite (may also be increased or unchanged)
Diarrhea, chronic or occasional
Lactose intolerance (common upon diagnosis, usually goes away following treatment)
Nausea and vomiting
Stools that float, are foul smelling, bloody, or fatty
Unexplained weight loss (although people can be overweight or of normal weight upon diagnosis)
A partial listing of nonintestinal symptoms:

Anemia (low blood count)
Bone and joint pain
Bone disease (osteoporosis, kyphoscoliosis, fracture)
Breathlessness (due to anemia)
Bruising easily
Dental enamel defects and discoloration
Depression
Fatigue
Growth delay in children
Hair loss
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Irritability and behavioral changes
Malnutrition
Mouth ulcers
Muscle cramps
Nosebleed
Seizures
Short stature, unexplained
Skin disorders (dermatitis herpetiformis)
Swelling, general or abdominal
Vitamin or mineral deficiency, single or multiple nutrient (for example, iron, folate, vitamin K)

Treatment
You must follow a lifelong gluten-free diet. This allows the intestinal villi to heal. Eliminate foods, beverages, and medications that contain wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats.

You must read food and medication labels carefully to look for hidden sources of these grains and their derivatives. Since wheat and barley grains are found abundantly in the American diet, keeping to this diet is challenging. With education and planning, you will achieve the goal of healing.

You should NOT begin the gluten-free diet before a diagnosis is made. Doing so will affect future testing for the disease.

The health care provider may prescribe vitamin and mineral supplements to correct nutritional deficiencies. Occasionally, corticosteroids (such as prednisone) may also be prescribed for short-term use or if you have refractory sprue. Following a well-balanced, gluten-free diet is generally the only treatment needed to stay well.

Upon diagnosis, get help from a registered dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. A support group may also help you cope with the disease and diet.

Causes
The exact cause of celiac disease is unknown. The intestines contain projections (called villi) that absorb nutrients. In undiagnosed or untreated celiac disease, these villi become flattened. This affects the ability to absorb nutrients properly.

The disease can develop at any point in life, from infancy to late adulthood.

Those with a family member with celiac disease are at greater risk for developing the disease. The disorder is most common in Caucasians and those of European ancestry. Women are affected more commonly than men.

There are numerous diseases and conditions associated with celiac disease, including:

Anemia
Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus
Certain types of intestinal cancer
Dermatitis herpetiformis
Down syndrome
Lactose intolerance
Miscarriage or unexplained infertility
Neurological conditions
Osteoporosis or osteopenia
Thyroid disease
Type 1 diabetes

Tests & diagnosis
A complete blood count (CBC) may show signs of anemia. It is important to determine the cause if anemia is detected.
An increase in alkaline phosphatase level may indicate bone loss.
Low cholesterol and albumin levels may be signs of malabsorption and malnutrition.
Mildly raised liver enzymes and abnormal blood clotting may also be noted.
Blood tests can detect several special antibodies. The health care provider will order these antibody test if celiac sprue is suspected. If the tests are positive, upper endoscopy is usually performed to sample a piece of tissue (biopsy) from the first part of the small intestine (duodenum).
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
did you find out what the cause for your symptoms were?
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks for this post.
|
Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....