Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Blotchy skin rashes face & body

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say that these forums are so great so everyone can help each other. What a wonderful thing! I was hoping for some advice if anyone is able to sit through my whole post (so sorry). Well my background real quick, I am a single mother to a 3 year old little boy, I am 26 years old, and a bit scared. I am a full time college student who usually gets straight A's however lately I will drive all the way to school (45 min) then sit in my car and sleep through class, the fatigue can be quite overwhelming at times. Being a single mother with no health insurance for myself (my son has insurance), I am terrified about being diagnosed and not being able to afford the meds or staying well long enough to watch my son grow up. After doing some research, I started thinking that my symptoms could point to lupus. I then went to Dr. today and without me even mentioning lupus, he suggested it. There is also someone in my family (not immediate) who was diagnosed. The doctor said it will take at least a week for my results so now I play the waiting game. I just wanted to post some of my symptoms so I could get any suggestions from real people who know. I am so scared because my son is my life and he is too young for his mommy to be ill. So I would greatly appreciate ANY opinions from anyone. Please tell me if this sounds like it could be lupus or something else, please do not sugarcoat and I understand that I will not know for sure until my blood tests come back. Here goes:

-I have been sick it seems constantly since last March, 1 year and 2 months ago. Soon as I get better, seems I get sick again.
-Since then, it feels like I have gotten old, no energy to do much of anything, especially the last few months.
-Have to pull over into random parking lots at times just so I can sleep.
-I do have the pink rash on my face that covers my checks and goes over my nose, however it covers my WHOLE cheek on the left side not just under my eye area like a lot of pics I have seen on the internet.
-I have lost 12 pounds with no explanation, however I was able to gain it back by taking weight gainer (I am already too thin) I look disgusting like I have an eating disorder (I do not).
-I am developing this weird rash that does not itch or anything. It comes and goes for the last month. It is different and effects all parts of my body but is never raised (more like blotches). My skin on my legs turned red and had these white blotches, some white blotches are small like the size of a pencil eraser, some are large like the size of the opening of a coffee cup. They appear all over my legs. My feet turn purplish and become all veiny. Sometimes my feet are beat red. Then my hands turn beat red and my arms get this red dotty rash. All the veins in my hands going all the way up my arms bulge really bad. It does not even look like my skin. My palms get all blotchy pink and white. Under my breasts turned purple from all these small spider veins that came near the surface of my skin. My chest turns red from all these little veins, I dont know if it is broken blood vessels or what. My veins bulge all over. Certain areas over my bones turn purple like the bones in my ankles and my knuckles and knees. When I have a flare up of the rash on my body, the rash on my face becomes more red so I know it must all be related. It seems like standing in my bathroom near the bright light bulbs makes it worse. However the bulbs in my bathroom are not fluorescent nor are they those new energy saving bulbs (I know these types affect the lupus rash in some). My bulbs are just a high watt regular bulb.
-I had scalp pain and a scaly area on my scalp along with dandruff and slight hair loss. The pain and dandruff just went away the next day without even using dandruff treatment.
-I have been having joint pain that is on and off. It is NOT a dull ache, it is a stabbing quick pain that affects different joints at different times. It started with my thumb, would hurt for a day then go away for a couple days, then start hurting again. The pain is not that bad, just mild but alarming.
-My knees have been the most consistent with the joint pain. It almost always hurts if I try to stand up from a kneeling position.
-Sometimes I wake up and the bottom of my feet are really sore. It feels as if I had walked a mile the day before even though I did not.
-Lately my ribs in my back hurt, the lower ribs. This is not stabbing but dull ache more like they are sore.
-I have had swollen glands in my abdomen, groin, and I think the lumps in my neck are glands but they are not under my jaw, it is on the sides of my neck about half way down.
-I urinated a fair amount of blood. I figured it was a bladder infection because I had pain like I always do when I get a bladder infection. I just took over the counter AZO then it was gone the next day.
-I have had herpes for 10 years and only had the initial outbreak. Then suddenly a couple months ago I had 3 outbreaks all in a row, this is not normal for me.
-I get dizzy spells from time to time.
-I got my nipples pierced months ago, and they still have not healed.

After I had lost all the weight but before I started having all these other symptoms, I went to the doc, he did not want to test me for too much since I do not have insurance. They tested CBC, thyroid, and blood sugar all was normal. Today they tested ANA among many other things. I am so sorry about the long post, I am just hoping that someone can tell me if this sounds like lupus possibility or something else. I appreciate you taking the time. I hope whoever is reading this is feeling well I wish everyone good health.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 26th, 2009
I am having alot of these symptoms and my dr. is checking me for Rheumatiod Arthritis.
keep us updated!!
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
HI there ;0
Tell us how your results went... did you get diagnosed with anything?
|

replied May 11th, 2010
Tough to say for sure, I also had these symptoms. Can be vasculitis, or Bechets Disease. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have had these symptoms. Fatigue that ruined my career and well, I hate to say it my life. I don''t want to scare you. Our health care is a waiting game. With a load of uncertainty. Boy, do I know about that! Good Luck, there are drugs to take the edge off. There is no cure for lupus but you can cope with it although it is tough. Good Luck. Keep us posted
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Well, this was posted in 2009...so I'm wondering if the original poster is ok? It's been three years...did you find a diagnosis? Was it rheumatoid arthritis or lupus? Did all the symptoms go away?
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Multiple Symptoms - Possible Toxic Mold Exposure
Many of these symptoms are also consistent with mold toxicity. Some molds release mycotoxins such as tricothecenes, ochratoxins, and aflatoxins that have been linked to cancer, depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue syndrome, fybromialgia, MS, and many auto immune diseases.

I would find a doctor that specializes in mold toxicity and let him look at you as well. This is relatively new science that is somewhat controversial an little understood by the orthodox medical practice in the US, so do not simply go to your primary care physician.

I have seen many peoples lives turned around by proper treatment and detox from these toxins including myself.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....