Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Blood Sugar and Glucose Levels (Page 1)

Can anyone explain the difference in blood sugar levels and glucose levels? My blood work (fasting) showed my blood sugar to be 50 and my glucose was normal. Also, do the glucose monitors check your blood sugar level OR glucose level?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2008
Community Volunteer
As far as I know it's the same thing?
|

replied April 25th, 2008
Supporter
It is the same thing as far as I know...it's the glucose in your blood that you blood machine is measuring.

50 (I assume mg/dl) is, IMO, too low for a normal person. If you have blood sugar problems you want to take action at 50mg/dl.

I'm surprised this has been said to be 'normal'...
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Experienced User
I was told I was hypoglycemic when my blood test came back at 50. I have been to several doctors, none seem too concerned. One doctor even told me that he did not believe in hypoglycemia. I did buy a monitor, and for approximatley a year, i always tested between 70-90. Recently, my level has been as high as 144. Don't really know what is going on, and can't seem to find a doctor who is really concerned about it.
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Supporter
eeyore46 wrote:
I was told I was hypoglycemic when my blood test came back at 50. I have been to several doctors, none seem too concerned. One doctor even told me that he did not believe in hypoglycemia. I did buy a monitor, and for approximatley a year, i always tested between 70-90. Recently, my level has been as high as 144. Don't really know what is going on, and can't seem to find a doctor who is really concerned about it.

I'm not sure how the health system works over there (I'm in the UK) but keep pushing it until something is done, see different doctors until one pulls their finger out.

Have you actually been diagnosed with hypoglycemia? Have you had the 72 hour fast? Has anyone checked for insulinoma? Confused

I'm very surprised they're not concerned. Unless it's because you're blood sugars are better now than they were(?). Is the 144mg reading a recent fasting one?
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Experienced User
No, the 144 was not fasting - it was on my home monitor. I have not had a GTT - 72 hour fast test. I am not familiar with insulinoma? The blood sugar level of 50 was fasting and from a normal CBC blood test. I was told I was hypoglycemic, due to the blood sugar level of 50, no bid deal, just watch my diet! I continue to feel weak, have depression/anxiety, insomnia, etc. I have always been very healthy, mentally/physically until recently. After two years of this, I had to quit my job last November, I do not drive any longer, and I am so weak it is just a struggle to leave my home. I am desperate - I am seeking an acupuncture therapist now for the anxiety/depression/insomnia/weakness, etc. I am currently in the process of seeking an endocrinolgist. I have been to medical doctors, internists, and psychiatrists - nothing has helped. This is so foreign to me - out of character - and consuming my life. I do not know if it is hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc. but my family and I need relief from these debilitating symptoms.
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Supporter
Do you still have a home glucose monitor? Check your blood sugar when you get up in the morning, before breakfast, let me know what it is out of curiosity Smile

An endocrinologist will (should) request the 72 hour fast as a first step, so the sooner you find one the better. It sounds like you have fasting hypoglycemia which needs attention urgently.
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Experienced User
Okay, I will - I randomly check it during the day, and it is usually between 70-90. I will check it upon waking in the morning and let you know. Thank you so much for taking an interest. What is the difference between fasting hypoglycemia and hypoglemcia? Would this cause my severe fatigue/anxiety/depression?
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Supporter
You're welcome!

Hypoglycemia tends to fall into two types - fasting hypoglycemia, and reactive hypoglycemia. With reactive, blood sugar will fall low about 2-3 hours after eating a meal rich in sugar/carbohydrate. The 3 day fasting test should be negative for people with this type. But with fasting, blood sugar falls on fasting. This is IMO a lot more serious, although less common, and needs to be diagnosed asap.
Various conditions can cause either form, so the cause needs to be investigated.

I seem to get similar symptoms, especially fatigue and brain fog for days at a time. For me, this is worse than low blood sugar spells. I think it can be caused by the hypoglycemia, which was my own question on this board "diagnosed hypoglycemia". I'm not sure so maybe someone else can confirm that...

There's tones of information on the internet about symptoms and the difference in types of hypoglycemia, do a little research. But bare in mind there's some conflicting information about so don't take it all for fact - and keep at those doctors Smile
|

replied April 29th, 2008
I discovered I was Hypoglycemic about 6 years ago, and saw dramatic health improvements after I changed my diet. I never had a glucose test. From what I'd read, they aren't always accurate. One reason is that doctors - assuming you can find one who "believes" in Hypoglycemia and is willing to administer it - tend to cut it short after 3 hours, compromising the results.

My advice? Don't get hung up on the doctors and tests. Just follow a very strict Hypoglycemic diet for 2-3 weeks and see how you feel. If you're truly Hypoglycemic, you'll feel much better, and then you'll know. that's the only sure-fire way to diagnose, imo. Doctors are great for some things, but when it comes to low blood sugar they're more or less useless. The way I see it, if they can't give you a pill for it, they're not interested. I've actually had a doctor roll his eyes at me when I told him I was Hypoglycemic. It's unbelievable really, and very sad, because there are SO many people who are suffering and don't know why.

Lots of luck with this - I've been there and I know how frustrating it can be!
|

replied April 29th, 2008
Supporter
I think you should still go down the doctor route, as frustrating as it can be. Once you get to see an endocrinologist you're well on your way. It took me about 5 years to find someone who knew about hypoglycemia, but it was well worth it.

Thing is, if you have reactive hypoglycemia there's not much a doctor can do but prescribe a good diet for the condition, which would get you back on track. But if you have fasting hypoglycemia, it could be more than diet related - the cause needs to be investigated. A patient may have an insulinoma which needs attention, so to give up on doctors would be foolish and dangerous. The underlying cause needs to be found.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
[I have been going thru the same thing!!! Cannot drive, dizzy drunk like feeling. ITS HORRIBLE!
|

replied May 1st, 2008
I have been so so many Doctors who say everything is perfect and I feel horrible. I must be paying for years and years and years of abusing my body with carbs! I am definately Hypoglycemic. I did the 5 hour test. The numbers jumped to 196 and then dropped like a rock to 45. I had to lay down the last couple of hours. Some days I feel OK but not perfect and other days HORRIBLE! Today is day 49 on a strict hypo diet and I still feel horrible. I did notice a couple symptoms did go away such as the internal tremors. I also had pretty bad numbness or neoropathy in my left arm/hand and that has subsided. The whole head & neck drunk like feeling and dizzy is very frustrating tho. I never know how bad Im going to feel from one day to the next. I cant plan anything, I cant drive. All I can do is eat a proper diet and suffer it out! UGH!
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I am sorry I have not replied recently - I have been referred to my MD to an endocrinologist. I should have an appointment next week or early the next week. I just feel terrible all of the time. I really don't know what I should or should not eat. I don't even know if I have hypoglycemia, since the doctors I have been to always seem to dismisss that issue when I tell them how I feel. I just took my blood sugar level after eating a turkey sandwich/white bread and is is 82. I normally test between 70 - 90. ONCE, I did test 144 and was shocked. I do not know what the normal blood levels are. Is 82 okay? Hopefully, the endocrinologist will be able to help me. I hope it is not hypoglycemia or diabetes, I just know something is not right with me. I feel so sorry for my family. I do not drive, quit my job after 14 years, have severe fatigue/anxiety/depression/ insomnia and stay in the bed most of the time. My daughter just graduated from college, so proud, but didn't know if I could even attend the ceremony. I am 46 and my husband had to hold my hand, and help me through the auditorium because I was so sick and felt so weak, but I DID IT!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Read my diet thread on this forum (it's stickied near the top below the doctor questions). 82 is normal, and 70 is not low either. It does, however, sometimes depend on how quickly the blood sugar drops. 144 is considered just above the line into pre-diabetes, so it seems you may have something going on.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Experienced User
Well.......it sounds like I am okay then when it comes to blood sugar. I thought 70-90 was a bit low. When I was diagnosed with this it was 50 fasting, but since that time with a home monitor, I am always between 70-90.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Supporter
It may have been a temporary condition, it happens Smile

As long as your blood sugars are ok now.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Don't be afraid that you're crazy or something, however. I myself was cleared for blood sugar problems a few weeks ago, and the doctors now have rested on the possibility that I either have 1. a really, really rare form of Type I diabetes that starts out like this (just keep eating right and I don't have to worry), 2. a really sensitive pancreas or 3. a rare metabolic condition where my body is having trouble processing some sort of protein or such that is common to starchy foods and simple sugars. I'm fine now, so it's really not worth the money trying to figure it out because there won't be anything I can do to fix it anyway, just need to eat right, and that's what everyone should be doing. At any rate, I did have low readings for awhile there. I either corrected the condition, or the condition was related to one of those three factors I just mentioned. You still could have something happening. Keep tracking your sugar, making sure to check 1.5 hours after eating for the best results. You should do that in the morning after eating and before going to bed to see what's happening.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks for the reply, hopefully, the endocrinologist will come up with something. I really don't understand why I am B-12 deficient on some test, and others it is fine. Now, it seems my liver enzymes are up a bit as well. Again, thanks for the reply.
|

replied May 25th, 2008
eeyore46 wrote:
No, the 144 was not fasting - it was on my home monitor. I have not had a GTT - 72 hour fast test. I am not familiar with insulinoma? The blood sugar level of 50 was fasting and from a normal CBC blood test. I was told I was hypoglycemic, due to the blood sugar level of 50, no bid deal, just watch my diet! I continue to feel weak, have depression/anxiety, insomnia, etc. I have always been very healthy, mentally/physically until recently. After two years of this, I had to quit my job last November, I do not drive any longer, and I am so weak it is just a struggle to leave my home. I am desperate - I am seeking an acupuncture therapist now for the anxiety/depression/insomnia/weakness, etc. I am currently in the process of seeking an endocrinolgist. I have been to medical doctors, internists, and psychiatrists - nothing has helped. This is so foreign to me - out of character - and consuming my life. I do not know if it is hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc. but my family and I need relief from these debilitating symptoms.

You really need a 72 hour GTT. That is the next logical step. You have to rule out an insulin producing tumor in your pancreas. It does happen and it very easy to remove. Some can be teeny tiny and cause problems. The Endo at Mayo clinic said if you test and get 50 for a reading, you need that 72 hour test. 50 is NOT normal. It should never drop below 70. DO NOT let them give you the C Peptide test until they have done the 72 hour test first. It is a 3 day stay at a hospital. The C Peptide test which will confirm a small tumor in the pancreas is very dangerous and should be supervised by your doctor. They will then do a quick non invasive surgery with a tube, camera and clippers to remove the tumor. Or it could just be your diet which you can fix in 60-90 days. It takes a little while but can be fixed.
|