Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

+4 blood in urine with occasional red blood cell castle.

So I have been having some kidney issues. For years I have had occasional flank pain, and findings of cysts, and high amounts of blood in my urine. My daughter was diagnosed with thin basement membrane disease two years ago. I told her doctor about the recent problems I have had so she decided to test my urine at my daughter appointment. And she said I have +4 blood in urine with occasional red blood cell castle. Does anyone know what this means?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

Presence of hematuria, red cell casts and your medical history indicate various conditions causing inflammatory damage to the kidneys (glomerulonephritis), which can result in progressive loss of renal function.

Such patients would also have a history of high blood pressure.

The condition is detected with a panel of tests (blood, urine, ultrasound and if necessary a biopsy of the kidney). A chest Xray can also be requested to rule out similar condition affecting the lungs, which can present as cough, breathing problems and blood in sputum.

The condition is usually treated with a course of antibiotics (for any residual infection),steroids (to reduce inflammation) and antihypertensive medications to contol the blood pressure.

You might consult your nephrologist who can provide more information and help you further.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.