Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Blood in Urine, pain in pelvic and back

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I thought I had a UTI, went to the doctors and gave a urine sample, the doctor found blood in urine and ordered a ultrasound, here is the findings:


Is no renal mass evident

Left kidney is 12.8 cm in length and contains 2 cysts with septation. Some calcification in the midleft kidney is likely in arteries.

Right kidney measures 11.1 cm in length.

bilateral ureteral jets are visualized.

There is no mass evident in the bladder.

Impression; Several cysts of the left kidney, with probable arterial calcification.

No renal mass

My question is do I have anything to worry about?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

From the history and ultrasound results provided it seems that you have kidney cysts.

There is nothing to worry about such renal cysts.

The simple kidney cyst is a fluid filled spherical space within the kidney. A simple kidney cyst has no risk of becoming a kidney cancer and is therefore nothing to worry about. Usually as age progresses 50% of most adults develop cysts in the kidneys which increase in size as well.

If you are over 50 years old and you do not have a simple cyst, you are therefore in the minority of people.

Simple kidney cysts have no clinical implications. Usually, simple kidney cysts do not result in any symptoms and cause no harm to the body. On rare occasions, a cyst may cause symptoms such as flank pain, but this is quite unusual. If a simple kidney cyst is believed to cause pain or another symptom, it can usually be treated by a radiologist who can perform aspiration and sclerosis of the simple kidney cyst under radiographic guidance with ultrasound or CT scanning.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.