Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

blood found in stool

Hi I am 23 year old male. I spend most of my days sitting down and studying for school, I exercise usually 2 times a week. The last few months I haven't really been exercising at all, my diet and sleep order was a mess. That's when I started realize that my stool was becoming really thick and hard. There was bright red blood on the toilet paper when I wipe. Sometimes bright red blood would drip into the toilet. When I checked the stool few weeks ago I saw blood on it.

Last 2 weeks I started exercising again and sleeping and eating routine went back to normal.My stool returned to the normal ones I usually have too which is small lumpy and soft blobs. However I am still seeing little spots of bright red blood on it.

Other than my mom who had breast cancer a decade ago, my family has no other history of cancer that I can think of.

My doctor says get a colonoscopy done for me but doesn't recommend it at all. I was wondering if I should take the test cause I am a bit worried that I may have colon-rectal cancer.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2018
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The constipation is likely the cause for the hard stool and subsequent streaks of blood in stool. With no significant family history of colon cancer, jumping straight to colonoscopy at age 23 would be a far fetched shot. Please consult a gastroenterologist who may treat you empirically for constipation. If the bowel habits normalize then there may not be a need for a colonoscopy. FOBT and Digital rectal exam can be done.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.