User Profile
I'm 57 yr old male,For years Ive Had Trouble With my Hemoglobin Level, Out of the blue I'll get sick with a fever, cold chills, cellulitis, rush to the hospital they'll do a CBC Hemoglobin will drop to 6 Then scheduled for blood transfusion,then Hemoglobin will go up to around 8 then sometimes a week or two later it drops back down to 6, My question is were is the blood going or what Keeps causing my Hemoglobin to drop.Sometimes I get a blood transfusion and It may go up to 8 then as times goes by it will go up to 10 But that's the highest my Hemoglobin ever gets.In General, My Question Is What is causing my Hemoglobin to drop and Were Is My Blood Going..Thank you for any Help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2018
Blood Disorders Answer A64094
Hello and welcome,

I appreciate your concern,

There are a lot of conditions that can make your body to have low hemoglobin count.Either you're losing red blood cells faster than your body can make or you are making less red blood cells than normal or you have ongoing chronic losses of blood that's making you anemic.Each individual case is different,your doctors should run all the tests for you to find out why this happen in your case.

Some conditions which leads to lower production of red blood cells are,

Iron deficiency anemia
Vitamin deficiency anemia
Aplastic anemia
Retroviral and chemotherapy
Cancer
Cirrhosis of liver
Chronic kidney disease
Lead poisoning
Hypothyroidism
Multiple myeloma
Lymphomas etc.

The conditions which can lead to faster destruction of red blood cells than they can be produced and replaced, are,

Splenomegaly
Hemolytic anemia
Sickle cell anemia
Thalasemia
Porphyria
Vasculitis

The conditions which can lead to significant blood losses are,

Menorrhagia (excessive menstrual blood loss)
Bleeding from gastric ulcers,hemorrhoids and cancers (shows up in stool)
Bleeding from urinary tract (shows up in urine)
Frequent and excessive nose bleeds
Frequent blood donations.

You should visit a competent physician for a proper diagnosis of your condition,he will take a detailed history from you,do a thorough physical examination and order some blood and other relevant tests to get to the bottom of this,because blood transfusion is not the answer,the underlying condition causing your low hemoglobin count needs to be treated.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.