Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

bloating,pain,burning sensation in my upper abdominal

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi - I am a female in the mid 30's. I have been going to GI doc's for the past year or so for my GI problem which has not seem to have resolved. After doing tons of searches and rest, I have given up and this is my last approach. GB taken out 11 mths ago, ERCP found pressure build up in the bile duct so they've cut the end off. CATScan,Endo/Colonoscopy,Bloodtests, MRI..everything is normal. YET I have bloating,pain,burning sensation in my upper abdominal as soon as I eat ANYthing..even drinking of water is a pain. I have fibro and taking cymbalta..and yet am depressed!!IT's affecting my social life, personal life, work life! I dont know where to go for help anymore!! :( Lately, I am getting extremely cold one second and the next second I am sweating as if i came out of a sauna. I wake up all sweaty. Blood test didn't show infections or anything abnormal. Otherwise I have absolutely no other problems.(not lost any weight!!) ANY Advice for wht my nxt steps?THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A21751
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. What you are suffering from could be post cholescystectomy syndrome.

In this, there’s persistent pain and associated nausea/vomiting. This occurs primarily due to either the adhesions which are formed in the area of the surgery or due to the dysfunction of the sphincter of oddi.

Since the reservoir of the bile i.e. gall bladder has been surgically removed, it results in a continuous flow of the bile into the intestine resulting in gastritis & esophagitis.

The sphincter of oddi dysfunction is treated by using high doses of calcium channel blockers or nitrates. ERCP is a procedure which is done to look for the cause of the post cholecystectomy syndrome and is also used for the treatment.

This is for medical information only and for the right diagnosis & treatment, I’ll suggest consulting your surgeon. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.