Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

blister type bumps allergy or coxsackie virus?

User Profile
Hello,
I had a headache friday night, slept it off and woke up with blister type bumps on my hands. As the day progressed, so did the bumps, they spread to the bottom of my feet, nose, elbows, cheeks, forehead, and the inside of my ears. It started to hurt and burn, i went to ER, they said it was an allergic reaction. Today (Monday) i went to my family doctor and he said he is not to sure what it is and sent me for blood and urine analysis. The bumps have turned redish/brown and dont hurt AS MUCH, but do still hurt. He said it might be the coxsackie virus, but he can not confirm it since it is not present in my mouth. On Saturday and Sunday my feet burned and hurt all day, today they just hurt when i move them or walk around. My hands hurt when i clench them or hold/open something.

I am very worried and was wondering if anyone has seen/heard of anything like this. The doctor in ER and the walk in clinic both thought it was an allergic reaction, but my family doctor said it is def. not

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2012
Skin Answer A35085
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

I have seen the attached pictures which you had sent and after observation the lesions do not seem like dermatitis or allergic reaction as the recent pictures suggest as if the rash has increased.The possibility of Coxsackie virus seems to be there as they quite resemble like those.Few patients have reported cases in which the lesions were not present in the mouth.

If due to the viral infection they would resolve on their own within 10 to 15 days time.In some cases the virus causes flu like symptoms as headache,sore throat,rashes etc.Usually there is no specific treatment and Benadryl liquid or gel can be prescribed for topical application.If fever is also present then consider taking Tylenol.Avoid contact with any infected persons and maintain general hygeinic measures.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.