User Profile
After the bubble dissipated, I developed a horizontal cigar shaped blind area in my eye, just below the line of sight. It started on the way home (I had to stay at the same elevation until the bubble left.) It started tiny and got larger over about 3 days. The blind area was not mapped with a field of vision test until about a month ago. It looks about the same size to me. It goes from the left to about the center of the eye. It often looks opalescent or lavenderish, especially in the sunshine. Otherwise, it is grayish. I saw the surgeon again a week ago. He still does not know what has caused it and just wants it monitored. They thought it might be a leak behind my retina, but he said no.
I cannot believe I am the only person that has developed this problem. Do you have any idea what might be causing it? Do I need a second opinion? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2009
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A5945

According to the data you provided, the symptoms might be related to retinal damage. Since the retina is comprised of neural cells, which do not regenerate, the previous damage of the torn retina might have manifested with the blind area. No data was given about the cause for retinal damage.
You might want to visit other ophthalmologists for second opinion to define the exact cause for the damage and the subsequent treatment and prognosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.