Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

bleeding very lightly for 2 weeks? I am 52 years old

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
User Profile
I have been bleeding very lightly for 2 weeks now. I am 52 years olds. I get my period now and then. Should zi be concerned? I am also gaining weight!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2012
Menopause Answer A33148
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you have attained menopause already (absence of periods for 6 months to 1 year), then, having vaginal bleeding or spotting is not normal. The symptoms that you describe could suggest possibilities like hormonal derangements, endometrial hyperplasia, uterine fibroids, DUB etc. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the abnormal bleeding that you describe. Hormonal analysis done will help to confirm/rule out menopausal onset. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and your symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.