Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

58, bleeding for the last three weeks

User Profile
I am 58 years old and have not had a period for 3 years. I have begun to experience bleeding that has been going on for the last 3 weeks. I also have a colostomy from a ruptured bowel (diverticulitis). I don\'t have health insurance so I don't have a doctor. Just wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2014
Menopause Answer A50057
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Your symptoms are suggestive of post menopausal bleeding.It can be due to endometrial atrophy(thinning of lining of uterus),infections of the uterus or cervix,polyps,endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial cancer. Other causes are diseases of pituitary gland, hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and thyroid hormone imbalance. Your doctor may consider tests like PAP smear, cervical bipsy, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSA), estrogen, and testosterone. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT scan or MRI brain may also be recommended in certain individuals.

Definitely it needs evaluation as it is not normal. Hence you should consult a gynecologist and get it evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.