Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

bleeding continuously for a couple months?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Hi. I am a 30 year old female. I have been bleeding pretty much continuously for a couple months. The flow is not overly heavy and I am in no pain. I am passing blood clots, which are black/dark. I have been to see my OBGYN about this a year ago and I had an ultrasound to rule out PCOS. My periods seem to go from not having one at all for a couple months to having a two month long period the next time. Birth control does seem to help regulate my periods but I am not currently on it. Should I be worried about a serious problem or just go get back on birth control and forget it? I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A31723
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The altered and prolonged bleeding/periods could suggest other underlying problems like hormonal imbalances, thyroid abnormality, endometritis, endometrial hyperplasia, ovarian problems etc. Passing occasional clots and endometrial tissues in menstrual bleeding is normal. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the abnormal bleeding that you describe. Treatment as needed (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and regulate your periods. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.