Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Bled after sex, I had a baby 4 months ago.

I had a baby 4 months ago and recently had sex and noticed I bled, that's never happened before anyways I took the morning after pill on Monday and 6 days later I've noticed a dark brown discharge and wanted to know if this was normal and if a anyone could help me? I'm not in severe pain or anything, I've got mild cramping but nothing too serious. I've got an appointment with my last doctor on the 12th so wanted some reassurance or to see if anyone is in the same boat as me? X x
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The altered discharge after taking ECP could be the withdrawal effect of hormones indicating that the pill has worked (provided you were not sexually active after taking ECP). The spotting/bleeding during or after intercourse that you describe is not normal, and if recurrent, it could suggest possibilities like vaginal infections, internal injury/trauma, cervical erosion or dysplastic changes, uterine fibroids, endometrial polyps, endometritis, ovarian cysts, hormonal derangements affecting the bleeding pattern, anemia etc. It is difficult to comment on the exact cause for the abnormal vaginal bleeding/spotting that you describe without examining you. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the abnormal vaginal bleeding/spotting that you describe if it is recurrent or persistent. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the spotting/bleeding and regulate your periods. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment. If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you are not ready for pregnancy, but intend to remain sexually active, you should consider visiting your gynecologist to get started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after your periods). Be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact if not ready for pregnancy, and avoid repeat use of ECP. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Postpartum and Postnatal , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.