User Profile
Hi, i had a question regarding a bladder problem i have. Since mid 2003, iv noticed that i have a strange bladder problem. What happens is that my urine comes really hard suddenly and i need to get up and walk, and then after 2 minuites it is completely gone. And then after a few minuites, it will come again and then go. When this happens i just have to walk really fast or at a normal pace and then it goes, like there was nothing in my bladder in the first place. Im 24 years old, and i never had this problem when i was a child or in my teens. I hope you can give me some advice to cure this problem.

Iv tried really relaxing my bladder muscles and being relaxed all the time but that hasnt worked. Its a big problem, when im outdoors, because for example, if im standing in a queue or in a train or bus, theres not much space to quickly get up and walk. Or for example when im at university and im in a big lecture hall. I really hope you can give me a cure to this problem. many thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2009
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A8084
According to the data you provided (urge to urinate that disappears after quickly getting up and walking and then returns after several minutes, back injury that turned into slip disk), you might be experiencing overly frequent and strong peristaltic contractions of the bladder muscle responsible for expelling the urine. This muscle usually contracts only when the urine has accumulated up to a certain quantity. Further filling of the bladder with urine additionally extends the muscle and its contractions become more frequent. They completely stop when the person urinates and are gone until the bladder becomes filled the next time.

Another muscle is responsible to close the lower opening of the bladder in order to prevent the expelling of the urine when the first muscle is contracted.

You might want to test yourself to see if there is enough urine to cause the contractions. The minimum amount of urine to cause contractions is 400 milliliters. If you urinate when you feel the contraction instead of keeping it, then you might check whether the contractions are caused by the urine or by something else.

Given the fact that you had a back injury that turned into a slip disk, this condition might be caused by the disk putting pressure on the spinal cord. This might be the first symptoms of more serious condition, so you are advised to visit a neurologist for the bladder problem and the slip disk in order to cure it and prevent possible complications. A physical examination, laboratory tests, X-ray or Computerized Tomography of the spine, measuring the rest-urine (the urine left in the bladder after urinating) with ultrasound scan might be needed for a complete diagnosis.
If the slip disk is detected as a probable cause, you might be referred to a neurosurgeon for treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.