Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

bladder cancer to the bone

My brother is 48 and was diagnosed with bladder cancer. They removed the bladder did a f/u bone scan 3 months later and he has 1 hot spot on his lt hip. Biopsy was done and it is cancer. Is this considered metastatic disease?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Sadie52,

In most cases, yes.

While bladder cancer in not one of the most common cancers to metastasize to bone, it is known that when it does metastasize it tends to go to lymph nodes, the lungs, bone, and the brain. The most common primary tumors which metastasize to bone are: Prostate, thyroid, breast, liver/lung, and kidney. (The way to remember this is with the pneumonic: PT Barnum loves kids.)

So, when a patient has a primary cancer and then develops a lesion in the bone, it is almost always a metastasis. When the biopsy is done, the pathologist will look at the tissue under the microscope. This will tell the pathologist what type of cancer the lesion consists of. If it is the same as the primary tumor, then it is a met.

Very, very rarely, a patient will develop two types of cancer (have two types of primary tumors).

So, again, the pathologist should have stated what type of tumor the lesion was in the bone. But, in the overwhelming majority of cases, it is a metastasis.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. I am afraid it appears to be bladder metastasis as that is the favourite metastatic location for the malignant cells. The patient will need chemo .

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Basics here about bladder function, bladder cancer and types of bladder cancer that doctors diagnose....
Can artificial sweeteners cause bladder cancee? Are men more likely to develop bladder cancer than women? More on causes and risk factors here....
Blood in the urine is a possible sign of bladder cancer. What other symptoms and signs should you look for and when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.