Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Black retina , surgery

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
have a problem in my left eye by birth... The black retina in my eye is too small and is not straight as right one. Its exactly opposite to my right eye. I have had a general eye check up in hospital and was adviced that I would not be able to see through left eye(I CAN JUST SEE 10% FROM MY LEFT EYE).

My question to you is that can I get it operated so that my both eyes look straight or is it possible to do some surgery so that it would look good or is it possible to replace with new eye. I would be waiting for your valuable answer so that I can proceed ahead.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2010
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A14430
Thank you for your question on

The black portion of the eye is called cornea, not retina. If you are born with small cornea, then it is possible that you are having a condition called MICROPHTHALMOS which is also associated with small eye. Microcornea is another condition, where there is only small cornea but the rest of the eye ball is of normal size. This is a congenital (meaning from birth) anomaly and it is usually not possible to treat. It is better managed by correcting refractive errors if you have any and supportive treatment. If your eye is not straight, it is possible that you have a squint. Squint can be corrected by surgery, but microcornea and microphthalmos eye balls are not normal and any surgical intervention is only planned after considering the advantages and disadvantages. It is very common to have very high degree refractive errors in these cases and they must be identified and corrected with appropriate correction like spectacles. Occasionally, these conditions can also be accompanied by other congenital anomalies affecting other parts of the eye like iris, lens, optic nerve etc.

Please consult your ophthalmologist for a thorough eye examination including a dilated fundus examination. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.