Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Black / Grey particles in phlegm urge to clear throat

I am 20 and have smoked marijuana almost daily (~.5 g / day for past 5 or so years) and just stopped cigarettes (was at about 2-4 / day).

How alarmed should I be about small black specs in phlegm and an urge to clear my throat many times per day. The specs usually look like little balls and seem rather soft. Sometimes I can get more 'crap' up than others, and it is always mixed with clear spit (usually looks like 5%-15% of what I am able to clear out is the black specs).

I have no other symptoms aside from the urge to clear throat, and no feeling of inflammation in my throat or chest.

Wondering if this is just my lungs clearing out all the tar or if it is infection or cancer or what?

Also, how much does the marijuana contribute to this? (99% smoked out of water bong)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Unclebuck1234
|

replied November 29th, 2009
I have the exact same symptoms .... i have been a heavy marijuana smoker for years but only recently noticed the black spots and coughing in the morning , i thought smoking with a water bong would reduce the amount of particles and contaminants in the smoke , but i guess not , should i go to the doctor and get my lungs checked?
|

replied November 12th, 2012
Grey/black mucus goobers caugh end from lungs. Marijuana use.
I too smoked weed every single day for five years and regularly for five years before that I'm 26 now. I smoked bowls, bongs, blunts, resin, gravities, vaporizers, etc... I smoked cigaretts starting at age sixteen at about a pack every two to three days, and quit those at age 21. I understand exactly what your talking about in regards to the chunky or soft greyish black material that can be hacked up. I've had these grey lung goobers for at least four years maybe even longer. Now every day without fail I release enought grey black mucus goobers to fill one of those really tiny Tabasco sauce bottle( I am not collecting the stuff I'm just using that as a measurement reference for you guys). I do believe that tobacco tar is not what I'm seeing. From what I've heard tobacco smoke tar stains your lungs like a wood stain and really bonds to the deepest bottom part of the lungs. The fact that I quit cigarettes about six years ago leads me to believe that what I'm finding in the mucus I caugh up is almost without a doubt a result of the huge amount of marijuana I've smoked. I believe the theory is that the marijuana resin collects in the larger airways of the bronchial passages and is more or less sticking to the mucus lining of the bronchi. I guess it's "good" that it's not coating the deep lung tissue like cigaretts do, which is what makes the cigs so damn effective at causing tumors. If this theory about the way the two kinds of smoke tar behave is infact viable, it is possible to assume that a person could expect to rid their lungs of the goobers over time so as long as the person stops using inhaled marijuana. This means vaporizers too. If we never put the black stuff in first then the vape would be fine but I'm pretty sure that most of us didn't even know about vaping until we were already experienced pot smokers. So we are simply anchoring that grey black stuff to our lungs by coating it with more heavy sticky vapor. Because of my years of smoking/vaping weed I will likely need to quit smoking/vaping for at least a year before seeing my lungs clear and free of the grey/black resin plaque that I'm caughing up in goobers.
|

replied November 26th, 2018
Please ask the Lord Jesus Christ, in prayer to help, with his special anointing, Butane inhalation ,is a bib problem, it sticks to lung, and kills the lungs Amen,vicchristian
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Uhh, because it's an eHEALTHforum... that's why Melody. Why would you ask such a question even after reading the title? Did you think this dealth with caloric expenditure while on a stationary bike?
|

replied September 27th, 2010
reply to black specs in phlegm
I've pretty much smoked weed the same amount and for the same duration, smoked a cigarette here and there but wouldnt say they account for much compared to the weed ive smoked...but over the last few months after long periods of hard basketball (cardio) after i eat a meal after i'd hock up one decent sized looge with a bunch of blackish greyish specs in it--- ive had no other symptoms (e.g. shortness of breath, pain or anything) but ,finally went to see a doctor, he X rayed my lungs and one second after looking at the xrays said theyre clean and fine. so it was a relief but still a wake up call- unless the tar is coming from my throat or something---but..def. not gonna smoke anymore-- id advise the same--or at least use a vaporizer or make brownies.
|

replied September 27th, 2010
also, one of the doctors told me..apparently one joint (im assuming counts for 1 gram give or take) is equal to 24 ciggs as far as tar content
|

replied July 14th, 2011
dont mean to be mean but im 90% sure thats bs, as far as i know all studies done on marijuana (that werent biased) have usually been on mj's side ive even heard of a study where it cured cancer lol, as far as i know the equal to a cig thing a a scare tactic (cigs are pretty much worst thing you can smoke since unlike pot and cigars and pipe tobacco, it has much more chemicals added to it including i believe tar
|

replied June 26th, 2012
I always tell myself to stop trolling and correcting people but I know it's been a year since this post and you probly won't read it but here it goes: actually, marijuana has a lot higher tar content than tobacco. First of all I knew you didn't know what you were talking about because you said they added tar. Lol you don't add "tar" it's just a byproduct of heating plantlike material and resins found NATURALLY in plants, almost all plants in fact, including marijuana and tobacco. They all have resins it's a part of their anatomy, these resins ARE tar. You should really research this stuff if you involve it in your life and most certainly don't post about it on a e forum. Cancer being cured by marijuana is ridiculous. I mean completely wrong and ridiculous, and there is no way you can even do a study to test this hypothesis. Now, marijuana may ease the symptoms associated with cancer because of its effect on the brain, but in no way does marijuana "cure" cancer. Lastly, You are right about one thing, there are many additives in cigarettes that are not found in marijuana. The main thing is marijuana is natural, but is also somewhat dangerous if smoked in copious amounts, and tobacco is natural, but the difference is NICOTINE, which is super ass highly addictive even moreso than heroin, therefore your risk of developing a habit to cigarettes is higher than marijuana.. Ok I had some more stuff to say but i gotta go... Remember to never stop learning, and if you think you know something, research it anyway and prove that you are right, look stuff up and read about it, anything and everything, never stop learning knowledge is power!!!!!!
|

replied November 6th, 2012
rick simpson says otherwise. he cured his skin cancer with it.
|

replied September 12th, 2013
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam /cannabis/healthprofessional/page4
This study says otherwise, as do many many others from reputable and highly respected institutions. Cannabis has been shown to cure certain types of cancer and reduce tumor growth and size in ALL. How about you do YOUR research, eh?
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
i have been smoking marijuana for the past 9 years and a pack of cigarettes a day. i asked my doctor the same question. they said it was because of the tar and build-up from smoking in our lungs. its pieces that have gotten loose and you have coughed up or have gone into your mouth from spit. it's nothing to be concerned about as in your sick. its only to be concerned about because your lungs are full of that tar. but if you stop smoking cigarettes it does get better over time.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
The Reason For Black Spots In Mucas Or Phlegm
I have done extensive studies about this myself. I went to the extreme, to find out what causes it.
I smoked marijuana recreationaly for over 5 years while smoking cigarettes as well. I found that i have black spots in my phlegm. So i decided to give the weed a break, and continued smoking cigarettes. I waited a whole year to see if it would go away but i still saw the spots in my phlegm. I then quit smoking cigarettes and started smoking marijuana again, and in about 3 weeks to a month's time, i saw that when i would bring phlegm up from my lungs, that the black spots were no longer present, and my lungs were much better and it was much easier to breath. The reason why this is, is because the nicotine resin and tar have a different solubility in phlegm then marijuana resin has. Resin from marijuana is more easily cleared from your lungs then cigarettes are.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
what about when you have these symptoms and you are not a smoker of any kind.. cuz ive had these same problems black/grayish spots in my phlegm/spit.. i dont know what it is but i dont think its normal i know that at some point i need to go see a doctor but man i do get a little scared.. as far as other symptoms i just have trouble breathing at times my lungs/chest hurt, i feel tired and lazy a lot more than usual so not sure whats going on Sad
|

replied April 10th, 2012
in response to black/grey mucus
SWIM has been smokin dope for about 16 years, only using a vaporizer the last few months, and a pack of cigs a day give or take for the last 8 years,and their mucus has gone from black/brown to clear/white. Still always hackin up mucus, but its better. The dope intake was about 7g a day. Also he is 26. And probably stoned right now.
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Don't the spots look like shake?
I've been smoking weed for 42 years, along with 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day. I smoked cigs for 20 years and switched to a pipe 20 years ago. I just started getting what looks like shake in my phlegm. I was afraid to talk to my doctor or google it. I thought it was lung tissue, just like those black & white "scare us to death movies" we watched in high school in the late 60's. They were like "Reefer Madness" & "Red Asphalt".

I had chest X-rays , MRI's & too many blood tests done less then a year ago. I finally had the courage to ask how the lung X-rays looked & he said "Great, pink as a baby's bottom". I'm sure that he was joking. My lungs were in great shape a year ago & I wasn't hocking up loogies with shake in it. I also know it's not because of chemicals as I grow my own organic plants.

For some reason I feel a whole lot better about this now that I know that there are others just like me. pman
|

replied January 24th, 2014
Black specs in mucus
Balance in everything....
yes Cannabis helps with Cancer
yes inhaling ANYTHING can irritate the alveoli in the lungs, edibles yes please, cigs out
yes the alveoli in our lungs gets clogged when we abuse instead of use ANYTHING
yes all the Western Rationalism, i.e. medical records, confirms cannabis does not harm

Again, balance in everything...if you observe a change that is negative like black spots in your mucus, then modify your behaviors to bring balance back like quit inhaling and start ingesting "one hitters" not "it was a bad night" edibles.
(I have black specs, all normal chest xrays, never smoked cigs but smoked cannabis for past decade, pre-med degree and a discerning mind for truth)
Hope this helps Smile
|

replied June 11th, 2014
It's been years since last post but anyone searching google for this subject might come across this and you ex potheads are gonna put fear into people saying it's because you used to smoke weed... Specks in phlegm are most likely dried blood because you picked your nose and nicked it or food from meals stuck to mucous in the throat or dust and everyday poluteants from the air.... think about it if your smoking from a water bong how is so many particles end up in your throat ? It can't be from that I also read this because I had the same issue what I do say is ask someone who doesn't smoke anything to jock up some phlegm and look at it lol in any case weed is known to stimulate the movement of mucous to your mouth so if anything be glad whatever that stuff is it ain't inside you no more but yeah I read this and got worried but a simple google search will mostly tell you it's what I said peace out and don't give up on Mary Jane
|

replied December 5th, 2014
This is a tangent to the topic but may be worth a read?
(This is way off topic but whatever, I get the black dots in my mucus at the end)
I smoked marijuana for a long time and that last line that you wrote Unclebuck1234 is the worst advise ever in my opinion. Do what you feel led to do, don't follow others I say. If weed is hindering your life I would experiment for yourself to find out what is most healthy for your life. Advice to keep or stop doing things is an unhealthy social pressure that people put on one another and for a wide variety of reasons.

I just quit smoking weed and decided to follow what I feel is right for me and that just so happens to be the bible. I have to be honest and say that I first smoked marijuana when I was 11 years old and through my upbringing I used it to hide from things in life that were hard to deal with and even into my adult married life after I had stopped smoking for years I found myself returning to smoke marijuana and hide emotionally and mentally from the problems and pain that I had in my life. That being said I only advice against smoking or using anything for that matter to hide or mask pain that we experience in this life as for me it was very unhealthy mentally and has had big impact on my life. Life is about balance in my opinion and if you are living a healthy life I don't see any problem with smoking marijuana but I do not think it is healthy to smoke everyday all day long in the manner that I did. I found that it effected my sleep habits (I was unable to sleep without it), I would be supper irritated at things that never would have bothered me, a real intense inner tension over small matters and my mind would instantly crave a bowl or any kind of weed really to take that edge off. Life is hard but I don't think God makes mistakes, we can handle it sober, and can have extremely healthy lives with marijuana as a part of it if we are mature enough to not let it control our life the way I allowed it to. I use to always tell myself I will smoke herb like I ride my bike and I will have a healthy balance but I honestly was never able to do so and I think my early exposure has a big part in this lack of self control? I choose not to smoke and wish that I could at times to be honest, because we all know how rewarding it can be to smoke a bowl, but I found myself always creeping back to my all day everyday smoking habits no matter how slow I started back at it. I know this is not everyone and I will never tell you to stop or keep smoking, that is our free will to choose. I only encourage healthy loving lifestyles and for me its trying live my life for the Lord as I have never seen any pure goodness in this world except from what I have learned in Gods word, The Bible. For me marijuana put me in the moment completely and that was the most amazing thing for me, I didn't care much at all for tomorrow or yesterday, I always wanted to spread that feeling of love that I felt to anyone I could, I always wanted to help out whenever I saw someone needed it and it was and is a beautiful thing in my opinion, it was a lens that I was able to look through on how to be a better man in this world but I don't feel right when I am unable to be that man without it, and for that reason I am going forward to try and be that man without having to use a substance to do it for me?

Onto the subject at hand.... I cough and I feel as though my mucus is coming from my lungs? And this is the mucus that has the black dots and sometimes is a dark gray/greenish color. It doesn't feel at all like it is from my throat and I pray that it is the resin that is from smoking weed and is being dislodged from the small air pockets in my lungs, I had to look it up and I think there called Alveoli? Through the day it has cleared up sometimes and some days it lasts all day. When cough and hack up the loogie into my throat, that is the only time I have seen this and it is far different than when I have worked in dusty environments and the next day draw the mucus into my mouth by inhaling through my nose and then hacking it up and it looks different as well. I am just glad I'm not the only one to be honest and makes me think it the natural design for our lungs to clean out the junk?
|

replied December 10th, 2014
How alarmed should I be about small black specs in phlegm and an urge to clear my throat many times per day. The specs usually look like little balls and seem rather soft. Sometimes I can get more 'crap' up than others, and it is always mixed with clear spit.
|

replied August 4th, 2015
Ok, I do hope that this helps some. I have noticed the exact same conditions in my mucus as others have posted in this forum. I have also noticed it is worse in the morning than any other time of day. What I can tell you is that when I went to the Bahamas and left the country, this all dissappeared! Nothing, not even mucus was formed. Even if I tried to make something come up, nothing! Yes, I have only ever smoked hemp and have not smoked for quite a bit. Now that I am back in the United States, the spotted mucus has returned. I think it may have a lot to do with the quality of air we breathe and possibly the water you drink. For the conspiracy theorists out there, chemtrails probably contribute a great deal to this. I am not sure what the affinity of flouride is to the tissues in our respitory system, but I do know it does not need to be systemic to work on your teeth. I may want to go and get the content of my phlegm tested to see what exactly it consists of. If I do, I will update you all. Peace
|

replied December 2nd, 2016
Say that to a real person and see what happens
@urmorons - Actually I found this thread to be very informative. Sounds like you need to go back to your Yahoo! posting you troll.
|

replied March 6th, 2018
Hey whatsup, hope this helps anybody out who has black specks in their phlegm. I am 22 smoke pot daily, and I vape an ecig (I know. Dont laugh) anyways, I started coughing up black specs after getting over the flu. When I was in the middle of peak flu symptoms I coughed up blood a bit from chronic coughing. Went to the doctors and A. They blamed smoking pot and B. Said it could possibly be dried blood from my coughing fits. So they gave me a cough suppressant and an inhaler and I was on my way. So at this point I quit smoking totally because I was freaked the hell out and cut down on the vape, long story short, I had been inhaling dust. The room I play videogames in was extremely dusty and I never noticed, I am assuming I had been breathing it in for the past year (I never clean) but it only appeared in my phlegm when I was sick and filled with sticky mucus so it got cought up in my lungs. Since then, I have cleaned my room of all dust and dirt, and put an air filter in it. Its been 2 days and I have seen a dramatic difference in the amount of specks, still have one or two come out here and there but I think it may take a while for me to fully clear it out. Make sure to take this into consideration before going to the ER or really freaking yourself out.
|

replied July 31st, 2019
I’m 41, and smoked pot for about 25 years pretty consistently. I quit smoking and a couple weeks later got a chest cold. When coughing up phlegm during this cold, I started noticing these black and gray circular specks in it. This was alarming, I’d never seen this before. I had a chest x-Ray done at the time and it was clear. The cold ended about a month ago and I thought maybe whatever was causing the black specks was gone, but one morning I simply just cleared my throat like ahhhemm, and I hocked up a ton of black and gray specks in otherwise clear phlegm. So scoured the internet to try and find other people that had this. There’s really not much out there, just this thread, but I do find it interesting that we are all pot smokers who quit. I’m putting a lot of hope in the theory that this is our body clearing out pot smoke resin and not something worse. I’m seeing a head and neck specialist and will probably get some bronchial scoping done. I’ll post back here with what eventually gets found. Post up if this has happened to you and what was eventually concluded.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....