Hi. So, I'm 18 and living in college dorms. About...four days ago I had a couple bug bites behind my knee. Well, those were the first ones I found. After that I found one mid-thigh, one on my hip area, and then one on each leg on my upper thighs. I also had a bump near my lip which is basically healed. I also am not sure if it's the same kind of bug bite, but there's one on my neck, too. Anywho, all areas besides my neck and lip are surrounded by a small rash. I have itched them before so I wasn't sure if it was just my itching aggravating the skin. Just yesterday a small bruise (about 1/2 inch) appeared near one of the knee bites. I was itching the ones behind my knee and mid-thigh so I'm thinking maybe that's why this has happened? Also when I walk my legs rub together where the upper thigh bites are so I thought maybe that was why those two are rashy now. I haven't itched them at all soo...yes. I wasn't sure when I should become worried and see a doctor about this. I just checked my knee bites and the rash seems to be a bit smaller, but that could just be wishful thinking. I originally thought it was a mosquito attacking me. Then my roommate and I thought it was a spider or something... Now I don't even know. Also, she has gotten a few bites but not as many as myself. And hers haven't become rashy. (That could be because she can resist the urge to scratch them!) Thanks if anyone has any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
Bed Bugs....?
Hey...

My husband and I moved into a crappy apartment last year and we were having similar symptoms. We heard about bed bugs and we were constantly checking through our things and the lining of our mattress and never found a thing. then one night we went to bed a little later and found two bugs waiting for us in our spots that we usually sleep. We looked them up and they were indeed bed bugs.

The bites you are describing sound like exactly that. They are extremely difficult to get rid of. They can hide in picture frames and books. They can flatten themselves out to the thinness of a piece of paper and move VERY fast, making them hard to catch.

Before you leave the dorm go through EVERYTHING that you want to keep with a fine tooth comb. Like turn every page of every book kind of thing. Then with clothes, comforters or anything else that cant be stuck in a dish washer, put in the dryer on high for 45 minutes. This will kill them.

Before you go to your parents house, or anyone else's house for that matter, change your clothes as you are like walking in the door and throw them right into the washing machine.

Bed Bugs are notorious for their "hitchhiking" capabilities. They are not something you want to mess with, or want to inflict on someone else by being careless and not hitting all of your bases before you go to stay with someone who may not already have them.

Hope this was helpful. That sucks. I am really sorry.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....