Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Bite with white head and red circle

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
User Profile
My son has a bug bite on his leg. At least I think its a bug bite. It has a white head in the middle and is red about half an inch around. Within the red circle, the skin and underneath is hard. It seems to get bigger with each day. Any clue on what kind of bug bite it is?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2010
Insect Bites Answer A17114

Hello, and thanks for your medical question on eHealthForum.

Based on the history, it is likely that your son has a bug bite. What you describe sounds like a tick bite, which may have occured while playing around the garden or the farm. The lesion you described may be Erythema Migrans. It is neccessary for a qualified physician to examine the skin to confirm either scenario. The physician will subscribe an appropriate treatment.

Other potential causes may be a skin infection (Cellulitis), possibly due to an inadvertent injury following a fall while playing around.

Again, a physical examination and direct visualization by a physician is needed to properly diagnose and treat your son. A physician will also consider information such as your son's age, and any other symptoms such as fever, etc. Consult your GP or a dermatologist for proper treatment.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.