i am female and 30 years old.Had two major deppressions 10 years ago. Frst i was diagnosed with major depression and was on zoloft for 6 months, (i had a terrible ocd (was obsessed that i had a deadly illness) 4 years after when 24 my ocd and depression kicked back terribly and this time doc gave me lexapro. used it for 3 good years and while i was on it the depression came back horribly.. The doctors told me that this repetative depressions were happEning because i have bi-polar and i was given lithium this time. I never ever had a manic or hipomanic episode in my life but i had horrible anxiety attacks that may last 2-3 day maximum..no good feelings just plain horror. and i told this to the docs. But they insisted. used lithium for a year and nothing happened. was on lithium when my worst anxiety attack hit me... For the last two years i am using nothing.. feel anxious and deppressed usually in the mornings or evening times..And have ocd( thoughts i can not stop thinking and bothering me, jealousy etc..)seroquel is great when used at the onset of an anxiety but even 50mg is knocking me out. tried 100mg every day and i am sleeping through out the day it clearly zombifies me..and wellbutrin well all ssri and alikes are hypering my anxiety even more i feel like crashing myself to the walls or cant stop moving with horrible thoughts

I NEED HELP OCD S KILLNG ME, ANXIETY IS HORRIBLE AND I DONT THINK I HAVE BIPOLAR BUT THAN WHY DID I GET DEPRESSION EVEN IF I AM ON A STRICT SSRI DIET??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile bobweird
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Bipolar w/o Mania
Hi, I am a 31 year old male and I have a very similar psychiatric history. I suffer from moderate-severe depression mixed with severe racing thoughts and anxiety. I've never had what I would define as a manic episode so for many years I didn't think of myself as being bipolar. I tried a variety of medications - seroquel worked but knocked me out and I couldn't work while taking it. Recently, I've found a combination that works for me. I take 50mg of Lamictal and 1mg of risperdal. Risperdal is a lot like Seroquel but doesn't make me nearly as sleepy and I find the low dose is enough to help calm the racing thoughts/anxiety. The Lamictal has done wonders for my depression.

Both of these drugs are meant for bipolar disorder, though. If you think you are unipolar they probably will not help. Something you may want to think about: you define your racing/jealous thoughts as a symptom of OCD. In my experience they are more a symptom of bipolar disorder and need to be treated as such. When you are having the episodes where bothersome thoughts are racing around in your head you may be having a hypomanic episode. You might not feel euphoric or superhuman but your mind is speeded up just like a person with mania except yours is mixed with depression.

All I can say is that when I am having these thoughts it literally feels like my head is spinning. It's like little movies are playing in my head and I'm flooded with all of these really intense emotions. It doesn't feel good at all. It usually doesn't last very long and is always followed by severe depression. I've definitely come to realize what I am experiencing is hypomania.

If that sounds like you, you might want to try lamictal and/or risperdal. They've worked very well for me.

Hope this helps.
|

replied February 19th, 2012
thank you very much, your experience and reply really helped me..you might have a point there when you mentioned that racing repetative thoughts might not be ocd but mania...and after that racing thoughts period always a good crash down comes just like you say but this cycle never stops..i will talk the doc about your mentioned medicines..
|

User Profile
Personally, for anxiety I have been prescribed ativan and for severe bed-ridden depression dexedrine. The dexedrine may not be wise if you are bipolar but it doesn't necessarily sound like you have manic episodes. I have a friend on aderall 60mg a day and he is bipolar and is prescribed a mood stabilizer as well. As for the racing thoughts, I have a background conversation in my head that is not audible but very disconcerting to say the least. My Dr. hasn't ruled out OCD even though I don't have any other symptoms except these ongoing thoughts are focused on the same theme. I may not have helped a bit but I'm rooting for you. Keep us updated. It sounds like you need to see the Dr. asap.
|

User Profile
Also there are many medications that work for both bipolar and OCD. You can google medications for both disorders and after rereading your msg I would probably not advise a stimulant as these tend to increase anxiety in some people. I am on Loxapine for racing thoughts. Just started this new med because Lamictal gave me a rash. I gained so much weight on antipsychotics that I had to take topomax in conjunction with them to offset the weight gain. I'm glad to hear lamictal has helped with your depression.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
yes my thoughts are just like that..background but very disturbing and saddening things...being pregnant might be ni the way..so even if i see a dr. iwont be able to use medication i guess Sad... which i am only using anti anxiety stuff right now...
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...