Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

bipolar partner stopped taking medication

My partner (we are now living apart but still seeing each other) was diagnosed with bipolar about 9mths ago and has been taking medication since. Recently he had a major episode and cut all contact with me and our children. I have found out from his friend that he stopped taking his meds a couple of weeks ago as he said there is nothing wrong with him and he doesnt need them since he has made friends with this man. His friend is a heavy drinker and although my partner has never been much of a drinker he has been getting drunk with this friend every weekend for the past six weeks. I thought his mood changes (he has been very self involved and making irresponsible choices, like drink driving) were due to the alcohol but now realise its due to stopping medication.
We have 2 children and I am pregnant with our third. Our family was always important to him but now he just wants to hang out with his new friend and drink and spend ridiculous amounts of money on a car he is working on. He sees us as an obstacle to his 'fun' new way of life and his freedom to do and behave how he wants.
He hates me at the moment and wont even talk to me. how can I help him get back on track when he doesnt want to know me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2010
you can't change him. If he won't realize he needs help, there's nothing you can do.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
You could always go to his psychiatrist.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Supporter
The reason he is drinking is because he is off his meds. Their is nothing you can do as frustrating as it is. I have BPD, diagnosed 5 years ago, and take my meds everyday faithfully. Many mentally ill people do not want to acknowledge they have a problem, they are ashamed, think they are weak, and/or think they can control their illness on their own. I'm sorry you are going through this, but as much as you want to help him you can't, only he can, and now that he is off of his meds and drinking you will never beable to convince him their is something wrong. I do think you should call his psychiatrist to let him/her know what is going on. In the meantime please stay safe. He is out of control currently and you dont know what he may be capable of doing. I will pray for you and your family.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...