Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar or Schizoaffective?

I have been diagonosed with bipolar disorder for 5 years, and the whole time I have been treated with mood stabilizers and sometimes with anti-depressants. I sometimes would hallucinate while in manic states. The hallucinations were always disturbing or scary. They usually occured at night when I was trying to sleep. Recently, I have been hallucinating more frequently. I am not in a manic state, and the hallucinations often occur during the day. Also, I feel more paranoid than ever. Whenever I go out, I feel everyone is a threat to me. I feel like I have to stay away from them or else I will be in danger. I feel this way about people I love and care abou sometimes. I have distanced myself from my fiance because I feel like he is betraying me even though he clearly isn't. Sometimes when I am walking I hear footsteps behind me. They stop whenever I stop. I am wondering if I am schizoaffective rather than just bipolar. I am afraid to talk to my psychiatrist because I really don't want to go onto anti-psychotic medication.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...