Question

My mother is bipolar and is currently in jail for substance abuse(which is something that a lot of bipolar people suffer from as well). She doesnt know she is bipolar and I am surprised that she has not been told before that she is bipolar. She is hurting my family a lot especially me. It is hurting mentally, emotionally, and physically. Right now that she is completely sober in jail I want to let her know that she is bipolar and that she needs to get help otherwise I will not talk to her. What is the best way to let her know about her problem and how should I let her know that she needs help in a way that will make her want to get help? Please give advice in any way that you can. Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Why do you believe she is bipolar?

Bipolar is a complex disease and can not be dx'd based on 'mood swings'. Substance abuse alone could create similar symptoms / moodiness.

In order to be properly dx'd as bipolar she would need to be evaluated and it is not as simple as walking in the doctors office for 15 minutes.

How to get her to listen? Maybe the facility that she is in can begin the process of getting her evaluated or get a dx...whether it be what you feel it is or something else. It could be her substance abuse that is her problem.

~Zig
|

Bipolar mother
Well I never actually thought about it until my counselor was the one that told me that my mother is bipolar from all the things that I told her. She isnt just having mood swings. In the past year she has had an affair, moved out of my stepdads house, went bankrupt, and is constantly on the go"working", but she has NO money, no car, no house. Is there a way for her to get a diagnostis in the jail or do we have to wait for her to get out of jail?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I am so sorry that she has you so worried. Just remember that these are her choices, not yours.

How long will she be in jail? Once she is released, where will she live? Maybe on the condition of her release she must have a complete psych evaluation.
|

replied January 2nd, 2009
Well..
She is promising that she is going to live with my stepdad and work things out with him once she gets out of jail. I will let her know that I want to take her to a psychologist to get her evaluated. Hopefully she agrees and everything becomes okay. Thank you
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...