Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar medical diagnosis for Ex?

I dated a girl for 1.5 years, and was engaged for almost a full year. Things were very well. We didn't fight a whole lot and got a long good. We were each others best friends. This past summer, she seemed to have a few weeks where she was very depressed. She would break out crying for no reason and begin to talk about how life had no meaning, and she was very depressed. She would also get very angry for little reasons. It is at this point she began to see a counselor and was prescribed a mild antidepressant which she was taken off of a few months later. She has been seeing this counselor on a weekly basis for the last 8 months or so. A few of her aunts suffer from Bi-polar + other issues.
She would also get into phases where she was always tired, or could/would sleep for 15 hours a day. Additionally, she would get into phases where I could do nothing right. A sinkful of dirty dishes would earn me a screaming reply of "I **** hate you, I can't wait to get out of this relationship." I'd then go to work, and she would act like nothing had happened when we talked during the day.

In the past year, she has changed jobs/potential careers around 6 times. Randomly, she brought up the idea of moving to a foreign country on a whim. She started to get her affairs in order for the move after only a few days of thinking about it. She felt like she was compelled by God to go and make this trip to get her life in order and to help others. She is a nice girl, but changes her mind on matters often. She would also get into phases where she just wanted change (whether it be new hairstyle, furniture etc....) For instance, she has been trying to save money alot recently, then seemingly out of the blue, she spent about $400 on something which had little value.

We decided on the place to get married and had the date set, then over a 3-4 day span, she decided that she wanted to move to Oregon (We live in North Carolina). She decided that she HAD to move in the next couple of days. I really did not know what to make of this. She told me how much she loved me, but that she HAD to move. She just wanted a new life. She begged + pleaded for me to come with her. Her sister is in a very abusive relationship, and my ex told me that she just had to get away from everything, and that she had to get away from her problems.

The evening that she moved out of my house, she was very tearful and told me how much she loved me, and that she was scared and wanted me to promise to always be there for her when she needed me. She mentioned how she knew there was something wrong with her, and when she got better, she would find me so we could be together again. She went to a friends house for the night, and she had some sort of nervous breakdown that night + next day where she went to see a doctor and her counselor. The next day after seeing her counselor, she left a note at my house telling me how much she loved me, and how none of this was my fault or in any way reflective of how she felt about me. She said that she just needed to get her life in order and that she loved me more than I could ever imagine. That day, she also spilled her heart out to mutual friends of ours telling them how much she loved me, and how important her counselor thought it was for her to stay on good terms with me.

Over the last several weeks, I haven't had much contact with her. I've spoken with her on 3 occasions, and she seems to be very distant. She talks to me like I am a business acquaintance. She seems interested in what I am doing, but doesn't show alot of emotion towards me. I've asked her if she would like to see me, and she replies "I cant because my feelings for you are still so strong" or that she needs to get her life together first. I asked her if she was still in love with me and she responded "I do not want to think about that right now. I have to get my life in order first"

She seems to have gotten progressively worse the last couple of months and has been under alot of stress (Most of it regarding her sister with some regarding our wedding planning). She is now living with her grandparents (who have issues of their own). They are very manipulative + controlling.

Can anyone give some insight to me if this is bipolar or anything I can do. Right now I am heartbroken + confused what to do. It is very hard to loose your best friend over something as confusing as this. I was hoping someone could give me some good insight as to what she is going through, what her counselor (a PhD) is probably telling her, and any advice anyone may have for me.

Will counselors usually want the person they are treating to stay single? Or what would they most likely tell a person in this situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...