Based on the variation in the frequency and severity of symptoms, bipolar disorder is categorized into following types:

1. Bipolar I Disorder

People suffering from Bipolar I disorder may have other mental conditions such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), substance abuse and anxiety disorder.

2. Bipolar II Disorder

This variant of bipolar disorder, shows features of depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes, without a full-blown manic episode. Bipolar II disorder can be a life-threatening condition as the depressive episode may be severe enough to necessitate medical help.

3. Cyclothymic Disorder

It is a mild form of bipolar disorder, characterized by several episodes of depression and hypomania. A person is said to have cyclothymic disorder, when the following symptoms are experienced.

4. Other specified and unspecified bipolar and related disorders

This includes clinical cases where bipolar symptoms do not match symptoms of any of the three types mentioned above.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 12th, 2018
Experienced User
Bipolar I is characterized by one or more manic episodes or mixed episodes. Typically a person will experience periods of depression as well. Bipolar I disorder is marked by extreme manic episodes.

Bipolar II disorder is diagnosed after one or more major depressive episodes and at least one episode of hypomania, with possible periods of level mood between episodes.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...