Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar Disorder, or Normal Behavior?

I've been paying much closer attention to my behavior lately, and I've noticed some concerning things I wanted to ask about. I'm starting to realize that I always feel like I'm not really myself, like I've lost sight of it and I'm trying to find who I am and I'm trying too hard. And there are times when I'll feel very happy for a week or two, then later on I'll be considering shutting myself out from anyone. It's like my personality is starting to try and hide itself away, because so much more lately have I felt like it'd be better and easier if I just stayed away from people. Then other times I'll get really mad over something small and I'll stay that way, I don't know.. it's just confusing. My mother was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder which is why I felt compelled to ask as I never asked my doctor about it as I'd not noticed it so much before. Opinions? Advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2017
What you describe sounds much like my day-to- day as well. I've been seeing a regular doctor for about a year and after two meds he suggested I might be bipolar. He took me off my meds last week and I'm waiting to hear about a psychiatrist.

I'm generally quiet and sweet, but given the right circumstances I can become outraged, loud and vocal, irrational, inconsolable.

It's well worth seeing a doctor, even though it can be a drawn-out and costly journey. Don't forget to care for yourself the way you would a loved one- I'm learning that myself. Good luck!
|

replied October 26th, 2017
Bipolar is hereditary, but it doesn't mean to say you are. My husband's family has a strain of bipolar and at least half the family is affected in some way. Mild to severe. Your best bet is to see a professional. If your symptoms are upsetting you and your family and friends, it is best to have is diagnosed.
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2017
Only a psychiatrist can give you a diagnosis. There's no blood test for this. They will usually ask you about a wide range of symptoms. Have you been existing on very little sleep? Do you have periods where your mind seems to be running faster than everyone else's? Have you been eating less? Lost weight? Have you been focusing on sex and love lately? Perhaps having multiple partners? Have you been engaged in other risky behaviors? Do you spend more than you should? Give away a lot of money you don't have? Do you want to save the world? Do you think you are supposed to save the world and if you don't you're a failure?

Have you been depressed? Do you think you are the lowest of the low? Worthless? Have you been thinking about divorce? Quitting your job? Running away? Can you get out of bed in the morning? Have you been staring at the walls all day long?

Bipolar moods vacillate between mania and depression. They can switch over the course of months or even years, or they can change several times in a day.

If you think you might have it, the best thing to do is to make an appointment with a psychiatrist. It is not something to mess with. Once you get depressed, it can be almost impossible to get out of it on your own. Indeed, 20% of people with bipolar die of it -- by their own hand. I tell myself that every time I get tempted to minimize the problems I face, even if it is a bit melodramatic. It's still true.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...