Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

bipolar disorder description and treatment ?

User Profile
greetings

i've been diagnosed having a bipolar disorder & prescribed various medications

i've recenty subscribed to the ehealth forum to get information

i'm 61 yrs, male, married happily for 28 yrs, english as my native tongue & i live in france

1) what is bipolar disorder?
2) what are the usual medications prescribed?

many thanks in advance

kind regards

cyberpolar
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2009
Experienced User
after reading this forum & talking to others, ithink that bipolar is the favourite diagnosis for doctors who don't exactly know what classification to put ones list of symptoms into, I also believe it is due to a nutritional deficiency, let me know if i can help.
|
Users who thank timeisshort for this post: cyberpolar 

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2009
Supporter
I agree that bipolar disorder is used to freely. I know a lot of people who have been wrongly diagnosed so my advice to you would be to get a second opinion. There are many medications for Bipolar Disorder, one being Abilify that will put a lot of weight on you. Lamictal is another. I've been on both of these for Bipolar Disorder, however, I'm not Bipolar, just a lazy doctor who didn't know how to diagnose a patient properly. If you google Bipolar Disorder you should be able to find a list of symptoms and info. about the disorder. What were the symptoms that brought you to seek help? Bipolar disorder is a mental illness with different stages..I II III...People with Bipolar Disorder have mood swings, manic episodes, an inability to control their spending, and usually a history of alcohol and drugs. Does this sound like you?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2009
Bipolar Disorder & Medications
timeisshort wrote:
after reading this forum & talking to others, ithink that bipolar is the favourite diagnosis for doctors who don't exactly know what classification to put ones list of symptoms into, I also believe it is due to a nutritional deficiency, let me know if i can help.

thanks for the feedback timeisshort - but it's not what i'm looking for - I know my symptoms & what medication i'm taking - i just want to know more about what's going on - anyway thanks for taking the time & i hope things go well for you

cyberpolar
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2009
Bipolar Disorder & Medications
wendyrs wrote:
I agree that bipolar disorder is used to freely. I know a lot of people who have been wrongly diagnosed so my advice to you would be to get a second opinion. There are many medications for Bipolar Disorder, one being Abilify that will put a lot of weight on you. Lamictal is another. I've been on both of these for Bipolar Disorder, however, I'm not Bipolar, just a lazy doctor who didn't know how to diagnose a patient properly. If you google Bipolar Disorder you should be able to find a list of symptoms and info. about the disorder. What were the symptoms that brought you to seek help? Bipolar disorder is a mental illness with different stages..I II III...People with Bipolar Disorder have mood swings, manic episodes, an inability to control their spending, and usually a history of alcohol and drugs. Does this sound like you?

hi wendyrs - thanks for writing - i find it hard to learn you are a lazy doctor - one of my medications is Abilify, but i'm not sure what's good out there, so i'm going for a 2nd opinion - i do have the conditions you mention below, so i guess it sounds like me! - what i don't know is what stage i am ...I II or III - anyway thanks for the input, & whatever you do take care - best wishes

cyberpolar
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2009
Supporter
No, I didn't mean I'm a lazy doctor..I had a lazy doctor..lol I'm glad you're going for a second opinion. Take care!
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....