Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

bipolar boyfreind not answering my messages

User Profile
i dont know who else to turn to , i am new to this sight and i need some sort of hope, now many people will have their opinions of my relationship since its with a bipolar man and is long distance no one else understands which makes my situation harder so thats why i decided to post on here , i will explain the best i can but my head is a little overwhelmed with sadness and worry he is 20 and i am 18 and i love him very much.
he has been on medication for almost a year and been going to therapy and has been fine for months and has not vanished once! until recently. the last time i heard from him was saturday morning (11th august 2012) i knew there was something bothering him since he did not message me as much as usual , he told me hes dad whom he is living with wants him to go to germany for 4 days this week on wednesday and he told me he really did not want to go and because hes blackberry phone would not work well without paying alot to message me, he also told me hes dad and hes dads partner were arguing and getting him involved which is another reason he became stressed. he told me to not worry and he will speak more with me soon , that was at 9:49 am saturday and nothing more after that he has gone quiet like this before but i thought everything was ok since he hasnt been like this for months, i just guess the stress has all gotten to him i know him well enough that i know he usually goes quiet for up to 4/5 days and comes back but theres always a part of me that fears he will never return or has harmed himself i am crying as i write this because i really do not know what to do i have him on blackberry messenger and he is recieving my messages but not answering me im so afriad (sorry for such a long message) i keep my phone on vibrate at night incase too Sad i feel so worried i feel as though i cannot function
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2012
calm down, i also did have a long distance with a bipolar man. yes he did get dissapeared every two or 3 months for one or twoweek, leaving me in worry and confused what was going on with him. You're stil in better condition coz your man get medication, i didnt even know that my ex is bipolar, all I knew is he's telling me he's been ill (usually triggred by stress) and perhaps ran to alcohol for his episodes. My suggestion is for you to keep calm, dont panic, keep texting him or call him but not too often that would be annoying, just letting him know that ur still there waiting and be by his side. Dont be angry for him not returning ur text an phone soon, he just need time for his episodes (if he is having one). I wish I knew and learnt about bipolar earlier, I did learn it too late, when my ex already felt like I dont get him and can cope with his condition, so we broke up. But based on my experience, relationship with bipolar hard to getting and feeling better, its just good moments and bad moments. best you dont expect him getting better or chance, have strenght and support for yourself and be patient. Hopefully your`s will work happily.
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2012
Hey. Me and my bf aren't long distance, but even he dissappears at times, at times. Those with bi polar needa bit of time. Love the fun tims, Ichrish our fun times, they come back. In time they grow closer, so hang in there doll
|

replied November 13th, 2012
This is his first episode with me, and I feel so lost...
I am so relieved I found this post, and that there are other women out there that know what I'm going through.

I started dating this wonderful man about 3 months ago. He was everything I was always looking for; handsome, successful, sexy, thoughtful, romantic, incredibly intelligent and just the right age. I fell for him pretty quick. I didn't know anything about the bipolar until later. But he's a CEO of his own company (I've since done a LOT of research and found that a lot of CEOs are bipolar - the mania is what keeps them working so hard), and he was planning to launch a major and complex project he'd been working on for a long time at the end of October. So his stress level was at a maximum. He also loved drinking scotch at all the business functions he went to.

About a month ago, he would start forgetting to answer texts, or he'd fall asleep when we were supposed to meet up. He spent more and more time at the office as the launch got nearer, and stood me up twice when we were supposed to talk or meet after a late-night meeting. The confusing part was that he would never acknowledge it the next time we spoke; it was as if he'd forgotten it happened. Then about 3 weeks ago, I finally got to see him. He acted completely high on his meds, he was definitely manic, and he had no memory of ever standing me up. When I walked in, he was telling anyone who would listen about this wonderful woman he was seeing - that I was everything he wanted, and he finally got to see me after over 3 weeks. He was acting completely erratic, dancing out the door of the pub, running across both lanes of Park Ave, weird laughter, crying...it was scary. And that's when he told me about the bipolar and all his meds and his shrinks. That was the last time I saw him.

That Sunday we texted just as normal, I tried to keep everything as normal as possible. He asked about my building's safety in Hurricane Sandy and texted like we always had. Then quiet until Wednesday, when I got a Facebook message asking if I was ok and telling me he was coming into NYC for a night (he got stuck in Boston during the hurricane) before heading to London for a week. And it's been quiet for 2 weeks.

I can see that he's seen one of my messages, but hasn't read the others, and I text him goodnight every night just trying to stay in contact. I've tried calling a few times but it always goes to voicemail. Is this typical? Did you ladies ever feel like you wanted to give up? Has anyone here ever experienced them not coming back? Should I be holding out hope still? And what happens when they do come back; is it a slow recovery, or do they just snap back to normal as though nothing happened? Do your partners remember the episode?

I just don't know what to do anymore, or if I even have a boyfriend. I care very much for this man, but I feel like I'm dating Jeckyll and Hyde...
|