will the spending part of biopolar be something i will need to be on guard every day? I was on family leave starting 2/14/08 then on disability 3/28/08 I am seeing a therapist twice weekly and am taking wellbrution and lamical and an anti anxiety med. I see my pdoc once a month. He has put me on disability until oct 1 I live in ca and can get one year. I have to gain the trust of my wife back and since 2/14/08 I have gone in the opposite direction I am spening nothing because the need is lenot there now and i do not want anything. Will I ever be able to get a balance in my life as far as money goes. My wife does not want me to go back to my previous employer and after haveing the family leave gone and now on disability there will be no job to go back too. i am 60 and would like the disability as long as possible then get social security at age 62. Will I ever be able to deal with money and spending again?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The over spending aspect of bipolar disorder is part of the manic symptoms. As long as the medication is effective the mania should be in check and you won't spend needlessly. You spend when you are manic due to the impulsiveness that goes with mania. Some people who suffer from depression will spend because it temporarily makes them feel better - serotonin is increased with this activity. Hope this explains things for you.
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Honestly, it might be worth it to look into getting someone else to manage your money, perhaps just temporarily until you feel you can better handle it, know what I mean? For example, you could get a friend or someone you trust to be a designated signer for your checks, pay your bills, and give you spending money. Or you could hire a financial planner, or something like that.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...